Can anyone connect here, or help fill in some of the early blanks?
John Moffat 1782-18??
John Moffat was born on the island of Papa Stour in Shetland, Scotland on the 1st of August 1782. He married Lillias JAMIESON in Walls on December 1st 1801 at the age of 19. The couple had 9 children:
1. Arthur MOFFAT, b. 12 September 1802, Breck, Sandness
2. James MOFFAT, b. 8 January 1806, Seater, Walls
3. Thomas MOFFAT, b. 26 August 1808, Setter, Walls
4 Veronica MOFFAT, b. 19 September 1809, Setter, Walls
5. Agnes MOFFAT, b. 16 April 1811, Setter, Walls
6. Catherine MOFFAT, b. 29 September 1812, Setter, Walls
7. Janet MOFFAT, b. 27 September 1816, Setter, Walls
8. William MOFFAT, b. 13 July 1819, Setter, Walls
9. Elizabeth MOFFAT, b. 11 June 1823, Setter, Walls
Thomas Moffat I: 1808-1887
Thomas Moffat I was born at Setter in Walls, Shetland, Scotland on 26th August 1808. At the age of 27 he married Marion ROBERTSON in Walls on December 10th 1835. Marion was 23, having been born in 1812 in Unfirth, Aithsting, Shetland. The couple had 9 children:
1. Bessie MOFFAT, b. 5 August 1837, Vadlure, Walls
2. Jean Sinclair MOFFAT, b. 31 May 1840, Vadlure, Walls
3. John MOFFAT, b. 9 September 1842, Brunthill, Walls
4. Lillias MOFFAT, b. 31 May 1845, Vadlure, Walls
5. John MOFFAT, b. 9 September 1846, Vadlure, Walls
6. Elizabeth MOFFAT, b. 25 May 1848, 3 Whitesness, Walls
7. Marian MOFFAT, b. 25 May 1848, 3 Whitesness, Walls
8. Thomasina MOFFAT, b. 12 March 1851, Pinhoulland, Walls
9. Thomas MOFFAT, b. 2 August 1853, Pinhoulland, Walls
Thomas & Marion Moffatt were recorded at Pinhoulland in the 1861 and 1871 census'. Thomas' occupation was variously recorded as Crofter, Weaver and Fisherman. In retirement, the couple moved to Punds, where they were recorded for the 1881 census. Thomas Moffat I died at 2 Punds in Walls on January 9th 1887 aged 78, and was buried in the Walls Kirkyard Church.
Marion Moffatt nee ROBERTSON continued to live at Punds for several years, as she was recorded there in the 1891 census. She moved to Brunthil in Whiteness sometime after 1891 and was recorded in Brunthil in the 1901 census. Marion died in Brunthil on October 26th 1904 aged 92. She was suposedly buried with her husband in Walls Kirkyard Church, although the gravestone only bears his name.
Thomas Moffatt II: 1853-1935
Thomas Moffat II was born at Pinhoulland in Walls, Shetland, Scotland on August 2nd 1853, and baptised at the Walls Methodist Church on October 16th 1853. He was present with his family at Pinhoulland for the 1861 census, although absent from the 1871 census. He lived with his parents at Pinhoulland working as a Farm Labourer, until deciding to emigrate to New Zealand in 1874 at the age of 21. He boarded the "Nelson" in Glasgow on October 1st 1874 for a two month sea journey to New Zealand, docking at Port Chalmers in Dunedin on December 31st 1874. Accompaniying Thomas were his two older sisters Lillias, 29, and Jane (aka Jean), 34. Lillias was emigrating with her husband James FRASER, 29 and their son James, 1.
Thomas Moffatt II married Jemima JAMIESON at The Manse in North Taieri on October 10 1878 . Jemima was also a Shetlander, having been born on the 16th of March 1847 in Garth, Sandness. Thomas was 25 years old and working as a Railway Surfaceman, while Jemima was 31 and working as a General Servant. The couple had four children:
1. Bessina MOFFATT b. 20 February 1881
2. Maria MOFFATT b. 19 August 1882
3. Thomas MOFFATT b. 12 June 1885
4. Jemima Grace MOFFATT b. 9 March 1888
In the 1910s, Thomas & Jemima managed a hotel in Mataura. In retirement, the couple moved to Christchurch and lived at 29 London Street, Richmond, Christchurch.
Jemima died on the 1st of March 1932 at age 85, and was buried in Bromley Cemetery in Christchurch.
Thomas died on the 23rd of August 1935 at age 82, and was buried with Jemima in Bromley Cemetery in Christchurch.
Thomas left a will as follows:
Retired farmer, Son in law Daniel Thomas MADDEN, Coal Merchant and Hubert De Rie Flesher, Solicitor, to be executors and trustees. Two fifths of estate for his daughter Jemima Grace MADDEN, one fifth to son Thomas MOFFATT, one fifth to Bessina ROBERTSON, and one fifth for Maria Mary KNOWLES will dated 5 November 1934. Died at Christchurch 23 August 1935 dead body seen by Daniel Thomas Madden and he attended funeral. Estate under 400 pounds.
Thomas Moffatt III 1885-1960
Thomas MOFFATT III was born on the 12th of August 1885. He married Ellen Elizabeth CARMICHAEL in Gore on 1st June 1910 at the age of 24. Ellen was 22, having been born in Gore on December 21st 1887. The couple had 14 children.
1. Evelyn Jemima MOFFATT b. 13 August 1910
2. Arthur Thomas Rodger MOFFATT b. 23 June 1912
3. Lillias Bessina MOFFATT b. 29 August 1913
4. Douglas Albert Louvain MOFFATT b. 6 November 1914
5. Fraser Sinclair MOFFATT b. 11 January 1917
6. Iris Eleanor May MOFFATT b. 23 May 1918
7. Myra Grace MOFFATT b. 23 November 1919
8. Roy Grantly MOFFATT b. 17 April 1922
9. Vaila MOFFATT b. 17 July 1924
Thomas MOFFATT III died 2nd May 1960 aged 74 and was buried in Andersons Bay Cemetery in Dunedin. Ellen died in Invercargill on April 25th 1970 aged 82 and was buried with Thomas.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|