Judge John A. Murat, aged 84 years, county judge of Portage County for 30 years prior to 1920, passed away at midnight Thursday night at the home of his daughter, Mrs Lyman A. Copps, at Marshfield, where he had resided most of the time since June 1931. Although he had been in failing health for some time, Judge Murat had been up and about until Thursday of last week. His condition was serious from then on, and he was in a state of coma since Sunday. Judge Murat's two sons, District Attorney Walter B. Murat, and Justice L.J.N. Murat, made frequent trips to Marshfield to visit their father during the period of his illness. The remains were brought to Stevens Point this morning.
In Public Office for 40 Years
The Death of Judge Murat brought to a close the life of a man who served continuously in public office for 40 years. In addition to being county judge for 30 years, he was register of deeds for 10 years prior to becoming judge, and also served for many years as supervisor from the Second Ward. Judge Murat was born in Milwaukee on August 22, 1848. His parents Mr and Mrs John P. Murat, Portage County pioneers, had come to this county seven years before. The family moved to Pine Lake, Waukesha County, shortly after his birth and in June 1856, came to the town of Amherst. Judge Murat's father farmed in Amherst, also carrying on his trade of carpenter. He attended the organization meeting of Republican party at Ripon, although not as an official delegate.
Early Day Teacher
Judge Murat attended the district schools and then taught school for a time, later engaging in railroad work. He was employed as a foreman by both the Wisconsin Central and Green Bay and Western Railroads at the time of railroad construction work was going forward in this section. He was elected register of deeds in Portage County in November 1878, and moved to Stevens Point on December 27, 1879. He subsequently served five terms as register of deeds, holding the office for a ten year period.
Elected 12 Times
Judge Murat was elected county judge in 1889 and took office in January 1890. He held this office as the result of repeated reelection, until 1920 when he was succeeded by Judge W. F. Owen. In all, Judge Murat was elected 12 times, five times as register of deeds and seven times as judge, the latter tenure consisting of six four-year terms and one term of six years. In the early years of his judgeship the county judge was made the municipal judge for the city of Stevens Point, by statute, and he performed the duties of this office also, in the intervening years. His judicial career included probate court work, at Waupaca, where he served as acting judge for a time during the illness of the Waupaca county judge.
Bank Executive Here
Judge Murat was one of the organizers of the Wisconsin County Judges Association and served as it's President. He was one of the organizers of the Citizens National Bank of Stevens Point and was a director and many years it's Vice President. He was a Charter member of the Portage County Old Settlers Association, which was organized in September 1892. He served as Supervisor from the Second Ward at intervals prior to a year ago and family home was at 419 Strongs Avenue, across the street from the Court House, from May, 1889, until Judge Murat went to Marshfield in 1931. Judge Murat returned here last summer, spending three months in the city and at Amherst and Scandinavia, visiting relatives and boyhood friends.
Wife died in 1917
His marriage to Miss Emma E. Nyquist took place on December 27, 1872. Her death occured on June 18, 1917, in this city. Surviving are the one daughter, Mrs Copps, of Marshfield; the two sons, Walter B., and L.J.N. Murat of this city; one brother, L.S. Murat, who resides at the old homestead in the town of Amherst; one sister, Mrs Elizabeth Johnson, of Scandinavia, and five grandchildren, John A., and LeRoy James Murat of this city, and John, William, and James Copps of Marshfield. Judge Murat was a member of the First English Lutheran Church for more than 50 years and held various offices in that congregation, which he joined shortly after locating in Steevns Point. The church was originally the Norwegian Lutheran Church, and later Trinity Lutheran Church. His former affiliations included membership in Elks, Odd Fellows, and Knights of Pythias orders.
Services on Sunday
The remains of Judge Murat were brought to the Prais Funeral Home and will be taken to the residence of Walter B. Murat at 127 Plover Street. Funeral services will be held Sunday afternoon at 3 o'clock at First English Lutheran Church, Rev. Philip S. Dybvig officiating. The body will be at the Walter Murat home until the time of the funeral.
-Obituary as published, Stevens Point Daily Journal, April 14, 1933
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|