Found this information in: "A Frisian Family - The Banta Genealogy." ...Descendants of Epke Jacobse, Who Came From Friesland, Netherlands, To New Amsterdam, February, 1659. - By Theodore M. Banta, Member of the New York and Long Island Historical Societies, of the American Historical Association, and of the New York Genealogical and Biographical Society. Fellow of the American Geographical Society. New York: 1803 (copy 43)
Am very curious about Martin as I believe I have a 5th g-grandmother named Rebecca Myer who m. John or Johnathan Dunham (both of NY, possibly of Dutchess Co.) - This has been my first lead to one of the old Myer/Meyer families and was very surprised to find that the original surname may have been derived from an entirely different surname (seems the Dutch are good at doing that, even to those who came from France.) Anyway, I don't know if this will help or hinder anyone, just thought I should post it in case it does some good. I'm sure there are mistakes in Theodore Banta's work, as there are in all published & circulated genealogies, but I expect it is a good guide, at least, for this branch of the Myer family.
Generation No. 1
1. MARTIN JANSZEN1 MEYER was born in Elsvliet, Holand. He married HENDRICKYE HERMANS November 19, 1662.
Notes for MARTIN JANSZEN MEYER:
Martin Janszen Meyer is probably identical with Martin Janszen Van Breuckelen [I expect he adopted this name to signify he was of Brooklyn, NY at the time since it is the old spelling , however – for all I know there is a Brooklyn/Breuckelen in Holland], who resided in New Amersfort [I expect this is Amsterdam, while it was still a fort or fortified village] as early as 1653, and who was Schepen there in 1656,57, & 58. He and his wife made a joint will, dated March 16, 1693, which is recorded in the Surrogate's office in New York.
The baptism of the eldest an the youngest of the children of Johannes Meyer is recorded at Hackensack, while the record of the others is found on the books of the Lutheran Church, formed in NY in 1674, now located on the corner of Broome and Mulberry streets (as of 1909) These books indicate that the minister was accustomed to go to Hackensack and other places about NY to baptize children whose parents were in sympathy with the Lutherans.
Child of MARTIN MEYER and HENDRICKYE HERMANS is:
2. i. JOHANNES2 MEYER, b. Abt. 1667, He was bapt. in NY June 12 1667..
Generation No. 2
2. JOHANNES2 MEYER (MARTIN JANSZEN1) was born Abt. 1667. He was bapt. in NY June 12 1667.. He married JANNETIE BANTA August 22, 1696 in Hackensack, NJ, daughter of CORNELIUS EPKE and JANNETIE DUPREE [The Banta surname was left behind in Holland, Cornelius was son of Epke Banta, but returned in lager generations as the Dutch took on the way of the Brits]
Notes for JOHANNES MEYER:
The will of Johannes Meyer (many of his desc. adopted the spelling Myer) was dated March 25 1742. He is described as of "Sadol (Saddle) river in the County of Bergen and Province of New Jersey." The will was proved in Newark, NJ, and filed in Trenton, NJ, and letters were granted to his son, Johannes, April 10 1755. The children mentioned were Martin (the eldest), Cornelius, Johannes, Isaac, Jacob and Abram Myer, Marijtie Prevoost (Brevoort) and Rachel Labagh.
Children of JOHANNES MEYER and JANNETIE BANTA are:
3.i. MARTIN3 MYER, He was bapt. Feb 25, 1700; d. Unknown.
--ii. MARITIE MYER, b. 1697-1708; d. Unknown; m. SAMUEL PROVOOST, 1723, m. March 2 1723.
4.iii. RACHEL MYERbp. April 1 1705; d. Unknown.
--iv. LEA MYER, bp. Apr 17 1708; d. Unknown.
--v. SARAH MYER, bp. Oct 11 1711; d. Unknown.
--vi. CORNELIUS MYER, bp. Oct 11 1711; d. Unknown; m. LYDIA BANTA, December 12, 1735.
--vii. JOHANNES MYER, bp. Aug 2 1714; d. Unknown.
--viii. FRANSCYNTIE MYER, bp. Aug 2 1714; d. Unknown.
--ix. ABRAM MYER, bp. Apr 6 1718; d. Unknown.
5.x. ISAAC MYER, bp. April 6, 1718.
Generation No. 3
3. MARTIN3 MYER (JOHANNES2 MEYER, MARTIN JANSZEN1) was born Abt. 1700. He was bapt. Feb 25, 1700, and died Unknown. He married GERRITJE (--?--).
Children of MARTIN MYER and GERRITJE (--?--) are:
i. JOHANNES4 MYER, bapt. Oct 12 1729 at Lutheran Church, NY; d. Unknown.
ii. ABRAM MYER, bp. Nov 18 1750 at Paramus, NJ; d. Unknown.
4. RACHEL3 MYER (JOHANNES2 MEYER, MARTIN JANSZEN1) was born Abt. 1704 bp. April 1, 1705, and died Unknown. She married JOHANNES LABAGH May 19, 1727.
Children of RACHEL MYER and JOHANNES LABAGH are:
i. CATHARINE4 LABAGH, b. Abt. 1728, bp. Jan 28 1728; d. Unknown.
ii. ABRAHAM LABAGH, b. Abt. 1734, bp. June 30 1734; d. Unknown.
5. ISAAC3 MYER (JOHANNES2 MEYER, MARTIN JANSZEN1) was probably born 1714-1718 in bp. April 6, 1718. He married LYDIA CAMPBELL March 12, 1760.
Notes for ISAAC MYER: Isaac was appointed Supervisor of Highways at Newark NJ in which town he had probably lived for some years.
Children of ISAAC MYER and LYDIA CAMPBELL are:
6.i. JOHN4 MYER, b. Aft. 1759.
--ii. HENRY MYER, b. Aft. 1759; d. September 26, 1777, Germantown, NJ.
Notes for HENRY MYER: He was a Sergeant in Capt. Morrison's Co., 1st Battalion, 2d Establishment of the Continental Troops of the Line from New Jersey and was killed in battle of Germantown.
7.iii. RACHEL MYER, b. 1758, SEE 2ND HUSBAND.
8.iv. BENJAMIN MYER, b. March 30, 1764, See Notes under 2nd wife..
--v. JACOB MYER, b. Aft. 1759.
--vi. ISAAC MYER, b. Aft. 1759; m. PHEBE CRANE.
--vii. LYDIA MYER, b. Aft. 1759; m. ROBERT MOUNT.
--viii. SALLIE MYER, b. Aft. 1759; m. CAPT.JOHN CRANE.
Generation No. 4
6. JOHN4 MYER (ISAAC3, JOHANNES2 MEYER, MARTIN JANSZEN1) was born Aft. 1759. He married RHODA BALDWIN.
Children of JOHN MYER and RHODA BALDWIN are:
i. ZEBULON5 MYER.
ii. HENRY MYER.
iii. ABBIE MYER.
7. RACHEL4 MYER (ISAAC3, JOHANNES2 MEYER, MARTIN JANSZEN1) was born 1758 in SEE 2ND HUSBAND. She married (1) (--?--) POST. She married (2) JOHN DURAND.
Child of RACHEL MYER and JOHN DURAND is:
i. ASHER BROWN5 DURAND, b. August 21, 1796, Jefferson, Morris Co., NJ; d. Unknown.
Notes for ASHER BROWN DURAND: He was a celebrated painter and engraver.
8. BENJAMIN4 MYER (ISAAC3, JOHANNES2 MEYER, MARTIN JANSZEN1) was born March 30, 1764 in See Notes under 2nd wife.. He married (1) SARAH RIGGS. He married (2) RACHEL SPINNING JOHNSON.
Notes for BENJAMIN MYER: He was a soldier from Essex County in the Revolutionary War.
Children of BENJAMIN MYER and SARAH RIGGS are:
i. ISAAC5 MYER, b. July 18, 1787; d. April 15, 1869; m. MARGARETTA SHADE, Philadelphia PA.
ii. ALLIE MYER, b. Aft. 1782; m. AMOS MUNN.
iii. SARAH MYER, b. Aft. 1782; m. (1) JOHN TUTTLE; m. (2) CALVIN BALDWIN.; She lived in Newark NJ
iv. HENRY MYER, b. January 02, 1801.
v. JAMES MYER, b. Aft. 1782.
vi. EVELINA MYER, b. Aft. 1782.
Child of BENJAMIN MYER and RACHEL JOHNSON is:
vii. BENJAMIN5 MYER, b. January 16, 1814. Last known to have lived in Newark, NJ.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|