Big changes have come to — all content is now read-only, and member subscriptions and the Shop have been discontinued.
Learn more

Chat | Daily Search | My GenForum | Community Standards | Terms of Service
Jump to Forum
Home: Surnames: Pelletier Family Genealogy Forum

Post FollowupReturn to Message ListingsPrint Message

(Capt) Antonio Pelletier b. 1819 France to St. Louis, MO
Posted by: Denise Perkins Ready (ID *****0767) Date: November 03, 2010 at 19:27:58
  of 2323

SOURCE: Newspaper - St. Louis Dispatch, St. Louis, MO. June 19th, 1885

In an undertaker's shop, at No. 60 Carmine street, lies the embalmed body of Capt. Antonio PELLETIER, who died at the Astor house on Sunday night, aged 66, of pneumonia. Born in France, he early took to the sea, and finally settled in the United States in 1852, and, becoming a naturalized citizen, acquired property in various parts of the country, and became interested in manufacturing in Troy. He was also a member of the firm of Dulauny, Rice and Co., of New Orleans. He purchased in 1860, for account of the firm, the bark William, a slaver, that had been condemned at Key West. He took the vessel to Mobile, where she was loaded with lumber, and sailed under his command for Cathagena, arriving in November, 1860, during the progress of the revolution. After the sale of a part of his cargo he set sail for Rio Hache, having on board as passengers a colored political refugee named Binar, and Juan Cortex, his wife, child and servant, and also a quantity of merchandise belonging ostensibly to Cortez.

The vessel being driven out of her course, she was put into port at Grand Caymen, on December 17, at the request of Cortez, who left the bark after selling his merchandise to PELLETIER for $1,000. The vessel then sailed to Port au Prince and began to unload her cargo. The crew became drunk and mutinous, and Binar, the refugee, demanded money from Capt. PELLETIER to pay his passage to the Spanish Main. His request being refused, he denounced the Captain as a pirate to the authorities. The officer was lodged in jail and a man named Cano, from Carthagena, having laid claim to the goods, the commander, after the mockery of a trial, was sentenced to death. This sentence was commuted to five years' imprisonment, three of which he served, subjected to great indignities and cruelties. He was shackled and chained to an iron bar in a dungeon without air or light and reeking with filth and vermin. At one time he was tied to a tree, and soldiers were stationed in front of him with loaded muskets. At another time a convict condemned to death was confined in his cell, and PELLETIER was warned by a Catholic priest not to eat soup on a certain day. He heeded the advice, but his cell mate greedily disposed of the soup and died in three hours from the poison. Louis LEGALLIN, a boy from the bark, who refused to testify against his captain, was dragged through the streets by the mob and had his brains crushed out.

In the meantime it had been reported in the United States that the captain had been duly executed, and his wife and mother of his three children, after an interval of a year, was married again. This union Captain PELLETIER suffered to remain undisturbed upon his return to this country after being liberated through the assistance of the French and English Ministers, who landed 500 marines and sailors and demanded his release on November 11, 1863. On his arrival in Washington, Captain PELLETIER laid his case before Secretary SEWARD and Congress, and Justice William STRONG was chosen arbitrator in the claim for $2,500,000 damages against the Haytien Government, and, after dragging along for over seventeen years A. H. JACKSON, of Washington, has brought the suit to a decision, which is expected this week. Captain PELLETIER's enterprising and energetic nature led him all over North and South America in search of fields for the promotion of his patent devices, including a composite pavement of which the sidewalk around the Post Office compound. He ran the telegraph lines on the isthmus of Panama. In Spain he was on terms of social intimacy with Queen Christain and General FLORES, and in addition to assisting General GARABALDI in his candle making enterprise on Staten Island he gave him $5,000 when he returned to Italy.

In personal appearance Captain PELLETIER was of medium height, of dark complexion and robust frame. He was exceptionally generous with his money. At the Astor House, where he had made his home when in this city for thirty years, there are many expressions of regret at his death. During the last two months he was engaged with Captain-General REYNEITAS of the Mexican army, now in this city, in projecting plans for the improvement of Mexico. His body awaits the disposition of his children. He leaves in addition to his wife, whose second husband is still living, two sons, one of whom lives in Havana, and the other in Arizona, and a daughter, Sister M. Ignatius of the order of Mercy at Yankton, Dakota.

*NOTE* I am not related to this family and I have NO further information to provide. The source of where this information was obtained from is listed at the top of this page.

Denise Perkins Ready

Notify Administrator about this message?
No followups yet

Post FollowupReturn to Message ListingsPrint Message
Search this forum:

Search all of GenForum:

Proximity matching
Add this forum to My GenForum Link to GenForum
Add Forum
Home |  Help |  About Us |  Site Index |  Jobs |  PRIVACY |  Affiliate
© 2007 The Generations Network