The following information is from "Pelletreau Geneaology". author: William Smith Pelletreau.
Francis Pelletreau, son of Elie Pelletreau and Marie (Benoist) Pelletreau, was born in New York in 1700. When a young man he removed to Southampton, Long Island. The first evidence of his being there being an entry in the town records of brand mark "being the first two letters of his name" and recorded "May ye 5 1717". He engaged in business with Hugh Gelston, who went to Southampton about the same time. He was a merchant and in later years had extensive dealings with prominent merchants in New York, especially with Stephen De Lancey. The oldest document in existence in connection with Sag Harbor as a port of entry, is a bill of lading for certain articles "shipped by the Grace of God in good order by Francis Pelletreau, in upon the good sloop, now riding at anchor in the Harbor of Sagg and bound for New York". This is dated in Southampton "ye 26 of November, 1731". For several years he appears to have been engaged in business with Stephen Boyer, a Huguenot who fled from the persecution and came to America at the same time as the Pelletreau's. His tombstone in the burying ground in Southampton bears the inscription: "Here lyes ye body of Mr. Stephen Bowyer, A native of Arver, in France, who came to this place in ye year 1686. Departed this life October ye 24 1730, aged 73 years". (his true name was Boyer, mispelled in the inscription).
In 1729, Mr. Boyer presented to the church two heavy communion cups of silver. In his will he left to Francis Pelletreau a legacy of 1000 shillings.
On April 12, 1728, Francis Pelletreau purchased from Samuel Woodruff, the ancient homestead of the Woodruff family. The house and four acres of land were situated on the east side of the main street of the Village of Southampton, and at that time bounded north by the home lot of Thomas Foster, east by land of Samuel Woodruff, south by the lot of Samuel Whiting, and west by the main street. The price was 135 shillings. It was this house which was occupied by Stephen Boyer as a tenant for many years, and he carried on extensive business for the times. The house, which remained until 1880, was the last house on Long Island which retained the old fashioned rhomboidal panes of glass, once in universal use, and hence it was known as "the house with diamond windows". It was used as a commisary house by the British during the Revolution. The place is now owned by the heirs of Josiah Foster.
In 1737, it was necessary for Francis Pelletreau to go to England to undergo a surgical operation, and on August 25th, he was admitted to Saint Thomas Hospital in London, England. The operation was performed on September 14th, but he died from its effects on the 16th of the same month. On the voyage he was attended by his brother-in-law, John Chatfield, who returned December 14th.
Francis pelletreau married Jane Osborn, widow of Richard Osborn. They were married by Rev. Mr. Moulinor, of the French Church in New York on September 16, 1721. She died in Southampton September 6, 1733 in the 38th year of her life.
Francis Pelletreau married second, Mary King, daughter of Judge Thomas Chatfield, and widow of Joseph King of southold, who died November 6, 1731. They were married September 9, 1731. She married Francis Pelletreau September 4,1734. After the death of Mr. Pelletreau she married Judge Hugh Gelston. She was born September 12, 1707 and died September 1, 1775.
Two daughters were born of his first marriage to Jane Osborn.
One daughter was born of his second marriage to Mary King.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|