I'm not related, but I thought this info would be useful to Pepoon researchers.
1. 1870 Census NE, Pawnee Co. township #3, Post Office - Table Rock.
Theodore Pepoon, age 34, born Ohio, farmer
Susan " " 30, born Ill.
Percy S. " " 9, " "
Alice " " 4, " "
2. The following is from Andreas' History of Nebraska (1882) -
T. W. Pepoon, the present editor of the Falls City Journal, was born in Lake County, Ohio, on Aug. 29, 1836, but is of Connecticut stock, his father coming from that State in 1804. In 1850 he moved to Jo Daviess County, Ill., where he remained until 1869, when he purchased a farm in Pawnee County, on which he resided until his purchase of a one-half interest in the Globe-Journal, now the Journal, in Sept. 1881. From Pawnee County, he was elected, in 1876, to the State Legislature, in which he took an active interest. For two years he was a postal clerk on the Union Pacific Railway, and had his headquarters at Kearney. He is an ardent Republican of the Radical type, and is earnest in his efforts to make his paper the exponent of his ideas.
3. The following is from the "History of the Journal," as it appeared in the Falls City Journal of Dec. 15, 1911 -
Mr. Pepoon later in 1882 took his son Percy into a partnership which was continued throughout the year 1883, when the son Percy Pepoon retired. The elder Pepoon continued the management of the paper through 1884 and 1885 and then formed a partnership with Cyrus Thurman, which lasted about a year when they sold the paper to W. W. Abbey, who continued the ownership from 1887 to 1890.
4. Pepoon continued to be associated with the paper until Dec. 2, 1887.
5. Theodore W. Pepoon was a charter member of Falls City's Grand Army of the Republic, Post #84, when it was established Jan. 19, 1882. He had served during the Civil War with Company K, 21st Illinois Infantry.
6. Percy Pepoon is listed in the 1885 Nebraska State Census for Falls City -
Percy Pepoon, age 23, born Ill., editor
Beatrice (nee Beardsley)Pepoon, age 23, born in England
Theodore isn't listed, but it is known that he often visited relatives and friends in Pawnee County.
I have no information on where or when he died. Can anyone provide this information?
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|