BLEVINS, PEPPER, PEPPERS, VAUGHN, WORKMAN, NEVES, BAINUM, BAUMAN
Seek proof that my ancestor Thomas BLEVINS (b c1823 NC, m1842 Miami Co. OH to Catherine YOUNCE, dau. of Joseph and Elizabeth (SHEETS) YOUNCE of Ashe Co. NC) was the son of Nathan BLEVINS b c1763 Haw River area NC, d 8 Apr 1834 Ashe Co. NC, m1 (?)Rachel SKAGGS (dau. of Charles SKAGGS), m2 Sep. 1802 Green Co. KY to Lydia PEPPERS (b c1780). Nathan lived in Montgomery Co. VA as a child and later served from there in the Revolutionary War. Nathan was in the Green Co. KY 1800 census and Ashe Co. NC census of 1810 and 1830. His widow Lydia drew a pension from Miami Co. OH in the 1850s, but no information on his children has been found in the pension papers.
There is some suggestive information (no hard proof) for two sons of Nathan BLEVINS b c1762 by m1 Rachel SKAGGS -- Nathan BLEVINS "Jr". and Charles BLEVINS c1790. The will of Charles SKAGGS (1815 Green Co. KY ?) names a dau. Rachel BLEVINS. Also named in the will are Nathan BLEVINS (legatee) and Charles BLEVINS (witness). The relationship to the BLEVINS men is not specified.
The list below contains CANDIDATES for other children of Nathan BLEVINS b c1762 (based on circumstantial evidence and family tradition--no hard proof). Family tradition is that my ancestor Thomas BLEVINS b c1823 was related to a Daniel BLEVINS, a WORKMAN family (David and Ruth, as well as "Rube"), an "Uncle Hiram NEES" (sp?), and a Nancy BAINUM or BAUMAN family.
[AGAIN—NO PROOF OR HARD EVIDENCE THAT ANY OF THESE ARE CHILDREN]
1. Patsy b c1800-1810 NC, m Hiram NEVES/NEAVES b c1801 NC, resided 1840 Ashe Co. NC and 1850 Wabash Co. IN, had children named Nathan and Thomas, among others. It appears that it is Patsy [Martha]age 61 in the 1870 census of Tazewell Co. IL enumerated with a Thomas NEVES b c1842 family. In this household is Wm H. H. BLEVINS b1845 [son of my ancestor Thomas BLEVINS # 4 below];
2. Ruth b c1804 KY, m David WORKMAN/WORKMON b c1803 NC, resided 1840 Ashe Co. NC, 1850 Taylor Co. KY, 1860 Green Co. IN -- had children named Nathan, Lydia, and Thomas, among others. My gr grandmother Elizabeth BLEVINS b1850 and her twin resided 1860 with David WORKMAN. Their siblings, Lydia and Wm. H. BLEVINS, resided with David WORKMAN's sons Reuben and Christopher;
3. William BLEVINS b c1817 NC, m2 Mary STAMPER, resided 1850 and 1860 Miami Co. OH -- had children named Nathan, Lydia, and Thomas, among others. There is good evidence that William was a son of Nathan b c1762 since Nathan's widow was residing with William per the 1860 census ("Lydia BLEVINS," age 80, b VA);
4. Thomas BLEVINS (my ancestor), b c1823 NC, m1842 Miami Co. OH to Catherine YOUNCE, resided 1850 Miami Co. IN -- had child named Lydia, among others. An Ashe Co. NC court record (c1840) names a Thomas BLEVINS whose fine was being paid by a William BLEVINS;
5. Elijah BLEVINS, b c1826 NC, m1844 Miami Co. OH to Sarah YOUNCE (sister of Catherine YOUNCE), resided 1850 Miami Co. IN;
6. Daniel BLEVINS (no info. at all, family tradition only). There are many Daniel's--in the 1850 census of Ashe Co. NC alone, there were three Daniel BLEVINS (b c1800-c1814).
Need identification/confirmation of the children and other relatives of Nathan BLEVINS. Who were the parents and siblings of Nathan's wife, Lydia PEPPERS? Was Lydia married previously? There is a 1799 Green Co. KY marriage [James PEPPER to Lydia VAUGHN]--is this Lydia, wife of Nathan BLEVINS? Was Lydia a daughter of Thomas VAUGHN d1825 of Barren Co. KY? The abstract that I have seen of the will of Thomas VAUGHN does not name a daughter name "Lydia."
Please include sources of any information provided.
Kenneth W. Shirley
4229 Kingman Road
Grantville, KS 66429
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|