I have been trying to sort out the Perry families of early Logan Co., KY. Several given names are repeated and it is not clear which person is in the various census records. However, I have identified several groups.
1. It would appear that there was an early Samuel Perry who is listed in the court orders in 1802. He may have had a wife Sarah who replaced him in the Court Orders in Aug. 1802. Various references in the deeds refer to the Samuel Perry grant, but there is also a reference to the Sarah Perry grant. It is possible that they were the parents of Thomas and John Perry who also appear in the records. A John Perry later sold land that was referred to as part of the Samuel Perry grant. There is a court order in Dec 1804 (Order Book 1:322) that refers to Samuel and Thomas Perry.
2. Thomas Perry, born before 1765. He was married twice. His first wife was probably named Mary (See Court Order Book 2:403-404 referring to a land transaction). He married (2) Margaret "Peggy" Dobbs on 29 Mar 1808 in Logan Co., KY. He died intestate before 17 Jun 1828 (estate appraisal). An equity case was filed in 1870 in Logan Co. to sell land from his original grant. Census records indicate that he may have had 18 children (10 by the first wife and 8 by the sedond), but all names are not known. The children by the first wife included: Samuel Perry (m. Patsy Maxey) who went to Warrick Co., IN and left family; William Perry who went to Warrick Co., IN; James Perry who went to Warrick Co., IN; Mary Perry who m. Charles Alvis/Alves and moved to Clark Co., IL; Sarah Perry who m. Richard Bass--she died leaving one son and he moved to Pike Co., IN; probably Joseph Perry who moved to Bond Co., IL; and Elizabeth "Betsy" Perry who m. John Goodson and moved to Bond Co., IL. Thomas' second wife Margaret moved to Bond Co., IL before 1840; they had 8 children per the census, but only seven were identified in court and other records: Thomas Perry Jr. who m. in Washington Co., IL and moved to Effingham Co., IL; Eilza J. Perry (not traced); Mary Levicia Perry who m. Samuel Anderson and stayed in Logan Co., KY; Lucy Ann Perry (not traced); Ezekiel Hamilton Perry who m. in Bond Co. IL and moved to Denton Co., TX; Johnson Perry (not traced); and Margaret L. Perry m. Samuel Garrison Jr. and was in Effingham Co., IL in 1850 and then moved to Wayne Co., IL.
3. John Perry, b. abt 1795 in VA, d. bef 5 Dec 1825, Logan Co., KY m. Elizabeth Carter (1795-1852) on 19 Dec 1812 in Frederick Co., MD. They moved with her family from Loudoun Co., VA to Kentucky about 1815, the Carters settling in Warren Co. and the Perrys in adjacent Logan Co. They had six children per the census, but only five are named in Elizabeth's will in Logan Co.: Harriett Perry (b. 1814, VA) m. (1) William H. Grubbs (2) John McCormick; William C. Perry; Hannah A. Perry m. her cousin Hiram Collett (his mother was Mary Carter); Amanda Malvina Perry m. Armstead T. Perry, son of James Perry and Jane Stephenson; Maria John Perry m. Rev. Patterson B. McCormick (brother of John) and moved to Gibson Co., IN. John appears to have had a brother Richard Perry who lived with him in 1820 and is listed in several contemporary newspaper references. This may be the John Perry of Montgomery Co., MD who filed a power of attorney in Logan Co. in 1804 to purchase land or there may have been an earlier John.
4. James Perry appears to have been married twice based on the census records. The name of the first wife is unknown. He m. (2) Jane Stephenson on 20 Dec 1807 in Logan Co., KY and she is mentioned in at least one deed. The census indicates a number of children, but most are unidentified. James died between 1 Mar 1821 (will signed) and 1 Mar 1824 (probate). He either had a daughter Jane (b. 1785-1790) or it was his widow Jane who m. Alanson Hulse in Logan Co., KY on 16 Dec 1823. A probably daughter was Agnes Perry (b. 1808) who m. James A. Hadden on 17 Jan 1827 in Logan Co. His acknowledged children were William A. Perry (b. 1809, VA); Richard Addison Perry (b. 1812)--not traced, James Monroe Perry (1817-1891), and Armstead T. Perry (per guardianship record) who m. Amanda Malvina Perry, daughter of John and Elizabeth (Carter) Perry. Census records indicate that there were many more children, but perhaps they died young. A marriage record from 1852 in Paducah, McCracken Co., KY lists an R. W. Perry, born 1812, Logan Co., KY, but he has not been identified, but may have been Richard Addison Perry.
5. Samuel Perry, b. 1780-1790, MD, d. bef 27 Jun 1831, Logan Co., KY. According to a biography published for his grandson Wesley Vick Perry, he was married to a Drary Ann Warner in VA, although census records list her birthplace (according to her children and the biography) as MD. Court records list her as Drady Ann Perry. Their children were: Sophia F. Perry m. David Ackerman; Louden Smith Perry of Logan Co., KY; John Thomas/Thompson Perry who moved to Greene Co., MO; Liny Jane Perry (b. 1816)--not traced;
Benjamin Robert Perry of Logan Co., KY; Nathaniel Perry (untraced); Alfred Perry of Logan Co., KY; and Roderick Perry of Logan Co., KY.
I would appreciate hearing more from anyone who can add to this picture and whether these men might be related to each other.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|