September was a busy month in which I completed the index to volume 1 of my two-volume book on the history of the Pettus family of England and Virginia. The index is now a properly-formatted Word 2007(R) document from which I can make a PDF to send to a publisher. I also have finished a set of PowerPoint(R) briefing charts on Creating a Book Index with Microsoft Word 2007(R). I will be presenting my briefing to the Family History Writing Special Interest Group, which is part of the Fairfax Genealogical Society, on Monday night.
Presently, I am going through the book and fixing some errors I noticed while working on the index. I hope that I can do so without affecting any page numbers in the index! While going through each chapter, I am replacing some of the older photographs with newer digital images I took or someone else took for me. Some of the newer images include views of the Pettus monuments, which were beautifully restored in 2006 (I think), in St. Simon and St. Jude Church, Norwich.
I also will have to make a final decision on two riddles. One concerns the portrait of a Lady Elizabeth Pettus, identified by one source as wife of Sir Thomas Pettus, first baronet, and by another source as wife of Sir Thomas Pettus, second baronet. The other riddle concerns two signatures on the same letter written in the early 17th C. by Edward Pettus, brother of Col. Thomas Pettus of Norwich, England, and Virginia. Edward was a member of the East India Co. trading to Persia when he wrote the letter. The question arose because the signatures are quite different. The letter is supposedly an original, but whether it was handwritten by Edward or by his clerk is the question. Probably, one signature is Edward's and the other is by the clerk.
Yet another issue I have to resolve is what to do about the table of contents for volume 2, which is included behind the one for volume 1. My issue is that I would like to revisit and possibly revise the conclusions chapter in volume 2. That means the page numbering for volume 2 could change. Yet, I really don't want to delay publishing volume 1. I will be thinking about this issue next week and try to figure out what is the best thing to do.
Several days ago, I spoke with the president of a prospective publishing company with whom I had had some occasional conversations in the last decade to let her know where I stand on finishing volume 1 and to request their new brochure with guidance for authors. I now have this information and should be in a position to get a cost estimate for printing volume 1 from the publisher later this month.
I will be in Richmond later this month and hope to get final permission to use certain images or extensive quotations from documents I found at the Library of Virginia and the Virginia Historical Society. I hope this will not be an issue, as I will be selling my book in a limited edition at whatever price I have to pay the publisher.
I will be posting further information later on the contents of my book and the cost.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|