Pifer Family Genealogy Forum
SLAVE CEMETERY, STAR TANNERY, FREDERICK CO., VA.
From Strasburg, Va. take Rt. 55 north to Rt. 600 turn left & go to Rt. 604, continue on Rt. 600 .1 mile north to a wooded area on the right side of Rt. 600. It is a large area and there is evidence of an old fence & there are a few scattered uninscribed fieldstones.
Legend is that this is the Elijah Pifer slave cemetery. The main slave quarters are still standing approx. 250 yards further north on Rt. 600. It is a two-story log house & has been covered with asphalt siding. This part of the Pifer land was purchased in the 1920's by Hollis Reynolds & is still owned by the heirs. The Elijah Pifer mansion house is approx. 300 yards south of the Gravel Springs Lutheran Church on Rt. 600. This house was erected in 1836. Across the road from the house are several other smaller buildings that legend holds were additional slave quarters. The mansion house & land is owned now by Ross Farrar and the property is known by the locals as ‘The Old Pifer Place'. It has been restored almost to it's original state. A sketch of this farm, with photographs appeared in the Bi- Centennial edition of the Shenandoah Herald, Woodstock, Va. on 01 Jul 1976, page 21. There were no inscribed fieldstone markers found at this burial site.