In March 1642/3 Isle of Wight Co VA was divided into two parishes: The Upper Parish and The Lower Parish and later the names were changed to Warraskoyack for the Upper Parish and Newport for the Lower Parish.
In 1734 the Upper and Lower Parishes were both divided at the Blackwater River and for our purposes there were then four somewhat square-shaped parishes: the NE, the SE, the SW and the NW. The SW and NW were combined to form Nottoway Parish which became Southampton County when it was formed in 1749. The NE and SE were combined and known as Newport Parish, covering the entire Isle of Wight County.
If William Pitman was in Newport Parish before 1734 then he was in the SE-SW box; if he was in Newport Parish after 1734 then he was in the NE-SE box; taken together he was in the SE box in all those years IF he lived in the same place before and after 1734. That SE box would have been the lower half of Isle of Wight Co VA after 1734, and what is today also the lower half of Isle of Wight Co VA.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|