I am sharing some info that you may want to try and verify to your own satisfaction.
I have John BOLLING born on January 20th but because of the confusion
caused by the calendar change, I have seen his birth year listed as both
20 Jan 1698\99 and 20 Jan 1699\1700.
1704 The BOLLING family acquired the property known as
Cobbs-Hall in VA,Henrico-Co.
I have seen 2 marriages for this John BOLLING:
m1=abt.1720 Elizabeth LEWIS (had no children)
m2=24 Aug 1728 (Mary) Elizabeth BLAIR
I break down his children of this John BOLLING into 3 categories:
1. known children with no descendants
2. proven children with descendants
3. unproven children with descendants
(Some given names repeat which I have numbered).
1. He had 11 children who died without leaving any descendants:
John #1 n=01 May 1729 d=24 May 1736
Archibald #1 n=01 Jan 1730\31 d=20 Jun 1749
Robert #1 n=10 Nov 1732 d=26 May 1736
Elizabeth #1 n=10 Jul 1734 d=31 Jul 1735
Sarah #1 n=22 Aug 1740 d=27 Apr 1747
Anne #1 n=19 Aug 1742 d=02 Apr 1749
Edward n=09 Sep 1746 d=10 Aug 1770 (no children)
Elizabeth #2 n=24 Jun 1753 d=29 Jul 1754
Jane n=06 Jul 1754 d=31 Jul 1754 (twin)
Rebecca n=06 Jul 1754 (twin)
Elizabeth #3 n=21 Mar 1756 d=07 Aug 1756
2. He had 7 children who survived & had descendants:
1) Thomas n=07 Jul 1735 d=07 Aug 1804 m=Elizabeth GAY
2) John William BLAIR #2 n=24 Jun 1737 d=1800 m=Mary JEFFERSON
3) Robert #2 (Col.) n=17 Aug 1738 m1=Mary BURTON m2=Susannah WATSON
4) Mary n=1744 m=Richard BLAND, III
5) Sarah #2 n=1748 m=John TAZEWELL
6) Archibald #2 n=1750? m=4 times
7) Anne #2 n=1752 m=William Alexander DANDRIDGE
3. The "blue" mythical BOLLINGS are yet another 12 children attributed to him:
- Metotaka=Matoaca n=03 Jul 1729
- Elizabeth #4
- William (twin?) n=05 Apr 1731 d=1776 (Rev. War) m=Amelia RANDOLPH
- Gerrard=Jared=Jarrett n=03 Jun 1732 d=1780 North-Carolina
- Martha n=15 Jul 1733
- Benjamin (twin) n=30 Jun 1734 m=Martha "Patsy=Pattie" PHELPS=FELTS
- Dorothy=Dorthea (twin) n=30 Jun 1734 VA,Henrico-Co,Cobbs
- Jane #2 n=13 Jul 1740 m=William HOPKINS
- Rolfe n=16 Jul 1744
- Rodney n=18 Sep 1752 m=Elizabeth Anderson ROLFE
- Powhattan n=16 Apr 1754
- James?Jessie n=1756
Please note that if you accept that groups 1 & 2 are indeed his children
then some births in group 3 cannot possibly be his children because
dates conflict with the normal woman's 9 month pregnancy term.
While these "blue" BOLLINGS may have been real people, I believe
there has been NO known documentation found to proove they are indeed
children of John BOLLING. So according to genealogists & historians,
anyone in category #3 is NOT an accepted descendant of Pocahontas.
To the best of my knowledge the oldest mention of these unproven BOLLINGs
was in a family tree made by John Tarpley BOLLING. He made both of his
parents descendants of Pocahontas & created the "Blue" BOLLING as a side
effect. I don't think he provided any documentation or proof of his claims.
So who is this John Tarpley BOLLING &
is the family tree he wrote down valid ?
Or does it come from a time when people were known to fake
their family tree linkages to prominent ancestors ?
I don't know the answer to that ... but it is a weak link :)
So Leon, to assert "with authority" that you are a Pocahontas descendant,
your assignment would be to uncover ANY kind of documentation that
would support the fact that your ancestor Jane (BOLLING) HOPKINS is
really a child of this particular John BOLLING who we are discussing.
"Blue" BOLLING sources always seem to be elusive in the end.
Perhaps any such documents were destroyed by fire, war, etc. ?
Or perhaps there is still some documentation collecting dust somewhere &
waiting to be found ... many would be happy to hear about such a discovery!
I haven't looked but I wonder if there might be some interesting
revelations in the DNA test results of various BOLLING descendants.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|