I recently compiled the following info from a variety of sources. Thought I would post it as it may be useful to someone.
I don't have any other info about these individuals as I am just starting my Polson research.
POLSON/POULSON/POLSTON IN VIRGINIA, 1600's-1800.
-- JOHN POULSON (PAULSANS), a headwright of Capt. Augustine Warner who received a land patent on Sept. 1640, York Co., VA.(8)
-- JNO. POLSON, a headright of Thomas Wilkinson who received a land patent above the head of Patomeck Creek, June 10, 1658.(11)
-- JOHN POLSON, a headright of Capt. Henry Pery who received a land grant in Charles City Co., VA, Dec. 3, 1658.(7)
-- RICHD POLSON, headright of Howell Pryse who received a land grant in Charles City Co., 1658.(7)
-- EDWARD POULSON, estate administered Feb. 18, 1695/96, Elizabeth City Co., VA.(18)
-- RICHARD POULSON, mentioned in court records as a landowner in Augusta Co., VA, 1736. "Survey 21st May, 1736, for Hite of 1,200 acres on Hongoluto River adjoining Joseph Mounts, RICHARD POULSON & Josiah Jones."(4.)
-- CAPT. WILLIAM POLSON, Virginia Regiment, served under Col. George Washington in the French & Indian War, 1754-1755.(1),(5),(13). He was the son of John Polson and Janet Mackay of Navidale, Sutherland, Scotland.(6) He was killed July 9, 1755, at the Battle of Braddock's Defeat, Monongahela River, VA.(5),(6),(14). He may be the WILLIAM POLSON whose estate was inventoried in York Co., VA, Nov. 17, 1755.(18)
-- PETER POULSON, foot soldier, Capt. John Harden's Co., Frederick Co., VA; fined for missing a muster, Sept. 2, 1755.(1)
-- JOHN POLSON, ensign, Capt. Charles Lewis's Co., VA Reg't, Oct. 10 - Dec. 27, 1755.(5)
-- JOSEPH POLSON, Capt. Thos. Speak's Co., VA Reg't., Frederick Co., VA, Sept. 1758.(5),(14)
-- ANDERSON POULSON, received a land grant of 200 acres in Hampshire Co., VA, Aug. 27, 1761. Northern Neck Grants, Book K, p.326.(15)
-- GEORGE POULSON, will probated Dec. 28, 1763, Accomack Co., VA.(18)
-- BENJAMIN PAULSON, militia roster, Capt. William Christianson's Co., Apr. 6 - Sept. 6, 1764.(1)
-- BENJ. PAULSON mentioned in Augusta Parish Vestry Book, Administrator's Bonds, 1765.(4).
-- BENJ. POLSON is a defendant in a lawsuit in Augusta Co., VA, Nov. 14, 1766.(4)
-- ANDREW POLSON, 1767 Tithe List, Pittsylvania Co., VA.(20)
-- BENJAMIN POLSON (PAULSON), will probated Aug. 1770 in Botetourt Co., VA.(18)
-- EDMUND POULSON, will probated July 31, 1771, Accomack Co., VA.(18)
-- JOHN POLSON, patented 51.3 acres in Botetourt Co., VA, Dec. 15, 1772. VA Land Patent Book 41, p.77.(15)
-- REBECCA POLSON, will probated Dec. 20, 1773, York Co., VA.(18)
-- JONAS POLSON, Bedford Co., VA, served in Capt. John Wilson's Co. in Lord Dunmore's War, 1774.(17) (This was a short-lived war against the Shawnee in southwestern VA.)
-- SWAIN POULSON, Fincastle Co., VA, served in Capt. Joseph Cloyd's Co. in Lord Dunmore's War, 1774. (17).
-- JOHN POLSON, mentioned in letter dated Dec. 23, 1772, from George Washington to the Gazette newspaper giving public notice of distribution of lands.(4)
-- RICHARD POULSON, 1773 Rent Roll, Fauquier Co., VA.(19)
-- JOHN POLSON, survey of 200 acres of land in Fincastle Co., on north side of Kentucky River, head of Jessamine Creek, July 13, 1776. Certificate signed by Lord Dunmore.(12).
-- GEORGE POULSON, ensign, militia roster of Accomack Co., VA, July 21, 1777.(9) He was paid for work on Fort Matompkin, June 1, 1777.(13)
-- TWAIN POLSON mentioned in land records in Washington Co., VA, dated Aug. 17, 1781. "June 6, 1783 - George Cleek, assignee of TWAIN POLSON. . . 400 ac on the Eleven Mile Creek, include
improvements, 380 ac surveyed May 2, 1774, actual settlement made in 1770. . . . "(20)
-- ELIAS POSTON, 1782 Tax List, Hampshire Co., VA.(19)
-- FRANCIS POSTON, 1782 Tax List, Fairfax Co., VA.(19)
-- MAJOR JOHN POLSON (POULSON), served in the Revolution in the 8th VA Reg't(9), received a warrant for 6,222 acres in Kentucky for 7 years of service on the Virginia line, June 12, 1783.(2),(10), (16). He died before Oct. 18, 1799, when his will was filed in Accomack Co., VA; a warrant for an additional 740 acres was issued to his executors, Parker Barnes & George P. Bagwell, on June 10, 1809 (note: this source has no info on his children/heirs).(3)
-- SWEATHON POLSTON, 1785 Tax List, Botetourt Co., VA, Wattersons Dist.(19)
-- ROBERT POSTON, granted 450 acres in Washington Co., VA, both sides of north fork of Holstein River adjoining James Crabtree, crossing the river at mouth of Crabtree Creek. Mar. 26, 1788. VA Land Grants Book 15, p.593.(15)
-- ELIJAH POSTON, granted 234 acres in Fayette Co., KY, on waters of Boons Creek, Oct. 28, 1789. VA Land Grants Book 22, p.21.(15)
-- ANDREW POLSON and George Muse, granted 618 acres in Franklin Co., VA, on both sides of Ryans Creek, 1790. VA Land Grants Book 23, p.1.(15)
-- GEORGE POULSON, JAMES POULSON, JOE POULSON, JOHN POULSON, PETER POULSON, ANN POULSON, 1800 Census, Accomack Co., VA.
-- WILLIAM POULSON, estated administered July 28, 1800, Accomack Co., VA.(18)
-- WILLIAM POSTON, grated 100 acres in Washington Co., VA, between Half Acre's and Keywoods Mill Creek adjoining Thomas Keywood. Oct. 26, 1801. VA Land Grants Book 49, p.499.(15)
1. Bockstruck, Lloyd Dewitt. VIRGINIA COLONIAL SOLDIERS. Baltimore: Gen. Pub. Co., 1988.
2. Brumbaugh, Gaius Marcus. REVOLUTIONARY WAR RECORDS - VIRGINIA. Baltimore: Gen. Pub. Co., 1967. Orig. pub. 1936.
3. Burgess, Louis A. VIRGINIA SOLDIERS OF 1776, Vol. 1. Baltimore: Gen. Pub. Co., 1973. Orig. pub. 1927.
4. Chalkey, Lyman. CHRONICLES OF THE SCOTCH-IRISH SETTLEMENT OF VIRGINIA, EXTRACTED FROM THE ORIGINAL COURT RECORDS OF AUGUSTA COUNTY, 1745-1800. 3 Vols. Baltimore: Gen. Pub. Co., 1965. Orig. pub. 1912.
5. Crozier, William Armstrong. VIRGINIA COLONIAL MILITIA 1651-1776. Baltimore: Gen. Pub. Co., 1986. Orig. pub. 1905.
6. Dobson, David. SCOTS ON THE CHESAPEAKE 1607-1830. Baltimore: Gen. Pub. Co., 1992.
7. Fleet, Beverley. "Court Records of Charles City Co., VA, 1658-1661." VIRGINIA COLONIAL ABSTRACTS, Vol. III. Baltimore: Gen. Pub. Co., 1988.
8. Greer, George Cabell. EARLY VIRGINIA IMMIGRANTS 1623-1666. Baltimore: Gen. Pub. Co., 1960. Orig. pub. 1912.
9. Gwathmey, John H. HISTORICAL REGISTER OF VIRGINIANS IN THE REVOLUTION. Baltimore: Gen. Pub. Co., 1979. Orig. pub. 1938.
10. Jillson, Willard Rouse. OLD KENTUCKY ENTRIES AND DEEDS. Baltimore: Gen. Pub. Co., 1969. Orig. pub. 1926.
11. Nugent, Nell Marion. CAVALIERS & PIONEERS. Baltimore: Gen. Pub. Co., 1983. Orig. pub. 1934.
12. Taylor, Philip F. A CALENDAR OF WARRANTS FOR LAND IN KENTUCKY. Baltimore: Gen. Pub. Co., 1967.
13. VIRGINIA MILITARY RECORDS. Baltimore: Gen. Pub. Co., 1983.
14. Virginia State Library. LIST OF THE COLONIAL SOLDIERS OF VIRGINIA. Baltimore: Gen. Pub. Co., 1961. Orig. pub. 1917.
15. The Library of Virginia. LAND OFFICE PATENTS AND GRANTS. <http://www.lva.lib.va.us>
16. The Library of Virginia. REVOLUTIONARY WAR BOUNTY WARRANTS. <http://www.lva.lib.va.us>
17. The Library of Virginia. DUNMORE'S WAR (1774). <http://www.lva.lib.va.us>
18. The Library of Virginia. INDEX TO WILLS AND ADMINISTRATIONS. <http://www.lva.lib.va.us>
20. US GenWeb Archives <www.usgenweb.com>
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|