Shelton - Montague- Pace Connections
It is known that the Shelton and Pace families intermarried through the years. Here are some connections within my line of Sheltons that may not have been known previously.
Historical documents during the late 1700s and early 1800s, such as deeds and wills have signatures of Abraham Shelton and William Pace, which indicate that the two familes were possibly friends or relatives. When William Pace was 21 years old, he sold his 200 acre farm to his step-father ( John White, Elizabeth Montague Pace's second husband ), and went with his brother, John III to Amelia County, Virginia, where they purchased property in the southwest part of the County; not however, as partners. They were accompanied by members of the Shelton family circa 1745. William (Pace) moved to Pittsylvania Co. in 1771." ( This information from Pace Fam History, Frankfort, Kentucky Historical Library)
Crispin Shelton b. 1 APR 1713 in Middlesex County, Virginia d. 17 Feb 1748/1749 in Pittsylvania Co, Va
Crispin married Lettice ( Letitia) Montague b 1715 (Niece of Elizabeth Montague)
More information on Letitia Montague - Pace:
(Letitia was the daughter of Abraham Montague and the niece of Elizabeth Montague, who was the wife of John Pace. John and Elizabeth were the parents of John Pace Jr.
John Jr. was the father of William Pace Sr. (See Montague family below.)
Children of William Montague and Lettice Weeks
1 Abraham MONTAGUE b abt 1695 Middlesex Co., Va
Christened:28 Sep 1701- Christ Church, Middlesex Va d: Jul 1770 -Essex Va Abraham Montague / Montacue 's dtr was * Letitia Montague, wife of Crispin Shelton.
2 Thomas MONTAGUE Born: Abt. 1703 Prob. Essex Co., Va
3. Elizabeth MONTAGUE b.: 1699 Essex Co. Va Spouse: John PACE II
4. William MONTAGUE b. 1706 Middlesex Va. d: Aft 1740 Of, Middlesex Co, Va
5. Mary MONTAGUE b. 1686 Middlesex Co. Va. b 23 Jul 1703 - Christ Church, Middlesex Co., Va Christened: 23 Feb 1704 -Christ Church, Middlesex Co, Va
*Letitia Montague b. 1715 was the daughter of Abraham Montague b. about 1695 She married Crispin Shelton. Crispin Shelton and Letitia Montague were parents of Abraham Shelton Sr. Abraham Shelton Sr. was probably named for his grandfather, Abraham Montague.
Son of Crispin Shelton and Letitia Montague
Abraham Shelton Sr. b. 1737 Middlesex Co Va Spouse: Chloe Robertson b 1741 in Amelia Co, Va
Son of Abraham Shelton Sr. and Chloe Robertson
Abraham Shelton Jr. b. 1766 Spouse: Letitia Pace b 1767 dtr of William Pace Sr.
John Pace and Elizabeth Montague
Son of John Pace and Elizabeth Montague
William Pace Sr. - Spouse: Susannah West - Married about 1750 in Amelia Co. VA
Known children of William Pace Sr. and Susannah West were:
i. Capt. John Pace. b. abt 1751
ii. Newsome Pace; born after 1753 at Amelia, VA; married Mary Nunn circa 1775 at York, VA.
iii. William Pace Jr; born circa 1756 at Amelia, VA; died circa 1808 at Pittsylvania, VA.
iv. Joel Pace Sr; b. 7/28/1762 at Amelia, VA; marr. Mary East 11/14/1782 - Henry, VA; d. 8/31/1831 at Jefferson, IL, when he was 69 years old .
v. Susannah Pace; born ca 1763 at Pittsylvania, VA; marr. John Thurston 8/28/1777 at Pittsylvania, VA.
vi. Milly Pace; born circa 1764 at Pittsylvania, VA. married ____ Cox
vii. Spencer Pace; born circa 1766 at Pittsylvania, VA.
viii. Letitia Leisure Pace; ca 1767 at Pittsylvania, VA. married * A. Shelton b. 1766 (* On the Pace Family site, a notation was written at the bottom of the children listed for William Pace and Susannah West: "Regarding Letitia Pace ... "She was married to A. SHELTON (b.) about 1760 in Amelia Co., VA [ probably ]. He died in Henry Co., VA [ probably ]. "Shelton -
ix. Langston; born circa 1770 at Pittsylvania, VA; died 5/20/1846 at Marrowbone, Cumberland, KY.
Another Shelton-Montague-Pace connection: Crispin Shelton married Letitia Montague, daughter of Abraham Montague and probably named their son, Abraham Shelton, for Letitia's father. Elizabeth Montague, sister of Abraham Montague, married Crispin Shelton, making her Letitia's aunt , who was the wife of John Pace. Elizabeth Montague and John Pace were parents of William Pace. After the death of John Pace, Elizabeth married John White. John White's brother, Jeremiah White, was the grandfather of Jeremiah Lee White, who married Abraham Shelton's daughter, Lettice (Letitia) Shelton, on 4 Aug ,1791 in Pittsylvania Co, VA.
"William PACE Sr., son of John Pace and Elizabeth Montague, born circa 1724 at Middlesex, VA, married Susannah (sometimes written Lurannah) West, daughter of John WEST, circa 1750 at Amelia, VA. William Pace died circa 1799 at Henry, VA. When William was 21 years old, he sold his 200 acre farm to his step-father ( John White, Elizabeth Montague Pace's second husband ), then he and his brother, John III went to Amelia County, Virginia, where they purchased property in the southwest part of the County; not however, as partners. They were accompanied by members of the Shelton family circa 1745. William (Pace) moved to Pittsylvania Co. in 1771." ( Pace Fam History, Frankfort, Kentucky Historical Library )
Son of Crispin Shelton and Letitia Montague
Abraham Shelton Sr. b. 1736 Spouse:Chloe Robertson
.....Son of Abraham Shelton Sr. and Chloe Robertson....
Abraham Shelton Jr. b.1766 Va. Spouse: Letitia Leisure Pace
.....Son of Abraham Shelton Jr. and Letitia Pace.....
George Abraham Shelton b.Feb 21,1790 VA
Spouse: Jane Johnston b. Dec. 17, 1803 Married 1820 in Va
Children of George Abraham Shelton and Jane Johnston
1. Elizabeth C. Shelton b. Feb 14,1821 VA d. Sep 20, 1821
2. James M. Shelton b. Oct 26, 1822 VA d. Jan 07, 1825
3. Laura Ann Shelton b. Feb. 21,1824 VA d. Nov 03, 1884 Spouse: Berry Pinkney Morris
4. Olleva Wilson Shelton b. Oct 16, 1825 AL d. Oct 03. 1856 Fayette AL Sps: Edw. Bryanes
5. Elizabeth Jane Shelton b. June 24, 1827 AL d. April 28.1870 ScottCo ArSps:Elijah N. South
6. George Robertson Shelton b. April 23, 1829 AL d. Feb 2, 1863 at Indianapolis IN George Robertson Shelton fought in the Civil War. He was 2nd Lt. in the CSA, and was wounded and captured at the Battle of Stones Hill near Murphreesboro, TN, and taken as a prisoner of war to Camp Morton in Indianapolis where he died a month later. He was buried in Crown Hill Cemetery, Indianapolis in a mass grave with other Confederate soldiers
7. Burrel T. Shelton b. Feb 15, 1831 d. April 20, 1834 ( there was also Burrell T. Shelton that lived in Fayette Co. AL-Relationship unknown. )
8. Mary C. Shelton b. Dec 24, 1832 d. Dec 12, 1873 Sebastian Co. Arkansas (married her sister, Olleva's husband, Edward Bryans, after Olleva's death)
9. Martha M. Shelton b. Aug 27, 1834 d. July 06, 1844
10 Nancy Shelton b. April 24, 1837 d. July 10, 1844
11 Albert Anderson Shelton b. Jan. 02, 1839 d. June 14, 1853 Was crippled- died young
12 Missouria Agnes Shelton b. Dec 19, 1840 d. Feb 12, 1933 Spouse: James G. Humphrey
Information from Pace Fam History, Frankfort, Kentucky Historical Library ) - U. S. and International Marriage Records 1560-1900, http://www.johnburgessdesign.com/YHFF/burgessdetail.htm , http://henryancestors.weebly.com/shelton.html , Pace Family History Online
For all of those who have been trying to figure out who the REAL 'Lettice / Letitias' were that married Sheltons... the following explanation may be helpful in sorting them out:
1. Abraham Shelton Jr b. 1763-1767 Of, , Pittsylvania, Va, son of Abraham Shelton Sr. married Letitia Pace b. 1764 Married: About 1784 Of, , Pittsylvania Co Virginia - LDS Record submitted after 1991 by a member of the LDS Church. No additional information is available. Ancestral File may list the same family and the submitter.
2. Lettice Shelton dter of John Shelton married Abraham Shelton son of Gabriel Shelton
Pittsylvania Co. Va. Witnesses: John Shelton father of Lettice & Frederick Shelton- Gabriel's brother
3. Lettice Shelton - dter of Gabriel Shelton married Robert HAYMES 16 NOV 1807 in Pittsylvannia Co Virginia
4. Lettice Shelton dter of Abraham Shelton Sr. married Jeremiah White Married: 17 DEC 1790 in Pittsylvania Co, Virginia
5. Lettice Shepard Shelton dter of Wm Shelton - married Vincent H. Shelton 1780/1790 in Pittsylvania Co, Virginia
6. Lettice Weeks Shelton dter of Beverly Shelton marr. Lemuel Shelton son of Gabriel Shelton in Pittsylvania Co. Virginia
I hope this information may help to guide Shelton researchers in the right direction.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|