I might as well "wade into the fray" here. I, too, am related to Thomas Skuce. He was the brother of my gg-grandfather, Daniel Skuce.
Hope you don't mind if I correct a couple of misconceptions here. Thomas Skuce's reported birthdate of 1804 does not seem very likely. He was born in Glengarriff, Kilcaskan Parish, Co. Cork between 1813-1821. He is listed variously as age 30 in the 1851 Census for Mountain Twp., Dundas Co., Ontario; age 47 in the 1861 Census; and age 56 in the 1871 Census. He died Sept. 25, 1905. (Birth in the 1813-1821 timeframe seems to makes more sense, as his last child was born in 1892 - quite a feat if he was born in 1804!)
Thomas was married twice:
1) Elizabeth Gosnell (not Gossen)- b. abt. 1823; d1869; daughter of William Gosnell and Mary Sweetman. Thomas & Elizabeth were married Nov. 25, 1845 in the Parish Church, Abbeystrewry, Diocese of Ross, Skibbereen District, Co. Cork. (from marriage cert). They had 11 children.
2) Cynthia Eberts - b1847, d1926. They were married abt. 1869 as their first child Charles Frank Skuce was born in 1870. Thomas and Cynthia had 11 children (22 in all for Thomas!).
Although one history states that Thomas worked in the Skuce cooperage in Rochester, NY, I have not found any other reference to this. He emigrated to Canada abt. 1849 (apparently his oldest daughter, Elizabeth b1847, was 2 at the time) and he was listed in the 1851 agricultural Census for Mountain Twp.
Thomas Skuce had 2 brothers -
1) Daniel b1818, d. Feb. 15, 1883 who married Martha Kingston (not Kate Gosnell). Daniel & Martha were married June 13, 1852 at Kilnagross Parish, Bandon, Co. Cork. They are my gg-grandparents. Their daughter Avisia Skuce is my g-grandmother.
2) James - James Skuce is listed as a resident at Derrynafulla, Kilcaskan Parish in 1852 Griffiths Valuation. Daniel is listed as the tenant, James is a resident.
The parents of Thomas, Daniel and James were Francis (not Edward) Skuce and Elizabeth Cole. Francis apparently was a farmer, not a naval hero - this information comes from the marriage cert for both Thomas and Daniel, of which I have copies.
Family legend has Admiral Edward Skuce being a naval hero, granted a lease on land in Derrynafulla for his naval actions in repelling the French fleet in Bantry Bay, but unfortunately the Royal Navy has no record of an Edward Skuce. I am not sure where the naval connection comes in, but the Coles were definitely a sea-faring family. Elizabeth Cole's father, Daniel Cole, was allegedly a ship's captain who drowned at sea.
Elizabeth Cole was married 3 times:
1) Dr. Duke - died in Halifax while serving with the Navy; had 1 child Bessie
2) ......Gough; had one son, George
3) Francis Skuce
Francis Skuce was a widower when he married Elizabeth Cole. He had at least one son from his 1st marriage - Francis Skuce b1787 of Clashadoo, Durrus who married Frances Skuce (no, this isn't a typo). He may have had another son John who went to Oregon, but this has not been verified yet.
Anyway - it's great to see this active discussion going on about the Skuce & Cole clans. I have lots of info on the various Skuce lines, so please feel free to get in touch. I would be very appreciative of any new information.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|