I am connected to the Smooth family through Winyann Smoot. She is my fourth great grandmother. Winyann was married to Suddeth (Ludwith) Meeks.
Would love to share information and photos and stories, etc., etc. on this family!
Anyway, in your quest for your family you may already have this information, but thought I would send it your way just in case. Either way, it is a very interesting read if you are connected to the Smoot family.
The Smoot Family Association hosts a site on the Internet at http://www.usgennet.org/family/smoot/book/
This site contains the entire book of "The Smoots of Maryland and Virginia by Harry Wright Newman, originally published privately in Washington D.C. in 1936. This edition edited and published by Frederick K. Smoot and the Smoot Family Association, copyright 2001."
Humphrey Smoot, son of John and Elizabeth (Grant) Smoot, was born in Culpeper County, Virginia. He accompanied his parents to Hardin County, Kentucky, about 1795, where some years later he volunteered for the war of 1812. He enlisted on September 18, 1812, in Captain John Thomas' Company, of Kentucky Mounted Volunteers, and served also under Captain Aaron Hart. He was present at muster at Vincennes, Territory of Indiana, and was discharged on October 30, 1812, with his brothers Armistead and John. He reenlisted later and mustered at Camp Jackson on December 31, 1814, and another record shows him a substitute for James Butler on May 18, 1815. He obtained license on August 30, 1816, in Hardin County to marry Sarah Meeks. One son has been established--Humphrey Smoot who married Lovina Fletcher.
Humphrey Smoot, son of Humphrey and Sarah (Meeks) Smoot, was born January 7, 1820, presumably in Hardin County, Kentucky. On February 8, 1846, he married Lovina Fletcher, born June 12, 1830.
Children of Humphrey and Lovina (Fletcher) Smoot
1. John Smoot, born July 14, 1847, died Dec. 26, 1867.
2. Maryan Smoot, born Oct. 17, 1848.
3. Evelyne Smoot, born June 10, 1851, died Apr. 9, 1902, married Charles Smith.
4. Charles Smoot, born Nov. 10, 1854, died Apr. 28, 1860.
5. Catherine Smoot, born Aug. 25, 1856, died Feb. 22, 1859.
6. Samuel Smoot, born 1860, died 1861.
7. Sterling Smoot married Martha McGrath. q.v.
8. Addie Smoot, born Sept. 1, 1864, died 1865.
9. Helena M. Smoot, born Oct. 4, 1866, married Joseph Northmore.
10. Minnie M. Smoot, born May 12, 1869, married thrice.
11. Lucy Smoot, born Jan. 6, 1872, married Frank Stevenson.
12. Edith Smoot, born 1875, died 1878.
13. Ira Smoot.
During the War between the States Humphrey Smoot served under General Sterling Price of the Confederate Army. After the conflict, Humphrey Smoot settled in Montana, and in the seventies, went to California, where he died May 21, 1882. His widow died September 17, 1907.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|