There are two memorials remaining in the Church at Purley with connections to the St John's. They
are those to Joan Iwardby and to Ann Hyde. Both may be found on the south inside wall of the
The Memorial to Joan Iwardby was erected by her great-great grandson Sir John St John and reads:
Iana filia et haeres Iohannes Iwardby equis aurati domini hujis manerij de Purley castissima
Ioannis Saint John coniux pientissima demum vidua vesata eisq duo ex Nicholao Saint John
nepote pronepotes Michael et Ricardus sub beatae resurrectiones spe hic requiescunt sacrum
hoc memoriae pie posuit Iohannis Saint John Miles et Baronettus dictae Ianne quartiis
(translation) Jane, daughter and heir of Sir John Iwardby, knight, Lord of this manor of Purley, the
most chaste and pious wife and at length the veiled widow of John St John. Also two of her first
cousins, Michael and Richard, sons of Nicholas St John rest here in hope of a blessed resurrection.
To her sacred memory Sir John St John, knight and baronet, fourth heir of the said Jane, has piously
This was erected by Sir John St John (1552-1594) It refers to Sir John St John (1473-1512) who
was Jane's husband, NIcholas St John (-1589). The two cousins Michael and Richard form the
History of Purley on Thames St John Family TS0002 Page 5
©2008 Project Purley 14 June 2008 subject of a debate and while we may assume them to be sons of Nicholas, this is the only evidence
for their existence. Another suggestion has been that Richard was in fact Sir Richard Carew (Jane's
second cousin) who died in 1520. He had been Sheriff of Surrey.
The second memorial is that to Ann Hyde. it reads:-
Here lyes the body of Ann the wife of Edward Hyde of ye Midle Temple London Esqr &
daughter of Sr George Ayliffe of Grittenham on the County of Wilts knt who dyed on the 2d
day of Iul in ye yeare 1632 aged 20.
Vale anima candissima vale mariti tui quem dolore et luctu conficis aeturnum desiderium
vale faeminorum decus et saeculi ornamentum.
Translation - Farewell thou soul most fair, farewell thou eternal desire of thy husband whom
thou killest with sorrow and grief, farewell of woman the glory and the age's ornament.
Both memorials were moved to the tower after restoration of the church in 1870. Ann Hyde's
memorial was originally in the south wall of the chancel overlooking her grave which was marked
by a black marble stone enscribed:-
Here lyes buried under this stone Anne the wyfe of Edward Hyde of the Middle Temple
London esq who dyed the 2d day of July in the yeare 1632 aged 20.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|