As a followup to the lengthy message I posted a few days ago regarding Richard Babcock born about 1810 and his wife Elizabeth Stover born about 1805, died 1878, all of Ernestown- she being the widow of 1801 Abraham Snider who died in 1831…..
1851 Ernestown as re-built by Russ Waller
1881 Can’t find him anywhere, cannot find his son Ezra on the 1881 census either
1891 Richard is at Kingston with second wife and 3 young sons
1901 cannot find him or Ezra, cannot find death reg. for Ezra
Richard A. Babcock died November 30, 1902 at Kingston, aged 93 years and one month.
Richard must have re-married about 1878-1880 to a woman named Margaret ROBLIN. I got her maiden name from marriage record of one son Archie Babcock who married Mary Elizabeth Baker in 1906. Richard and Margaret had at least three sons, Harry, Arney and Archie born 1880, 1882, and 1887 respectively. I cannot find a marriage reg. for Richard and Margaret. I have no idea who her parents were but she fits to be the daughter of Jacob ROBLIN and his wife Jemima who were on the 1861 Portland census. Does anyone know anything about this ROBLIN family and what was Jemima’s maiden name? I cannot find any information about Margaret and the three boys past the 1891 census; they should be on the 1901 census somewhere (possibly with Richard who did not die until 1902) and they elude me. Perhaps she did not stay with him, re-married and they are all under a different surname somewhere?
In regards to the children of Richard’s son Ezra Babcock….
A delayed birth registration was filled out for Ida Myrtle Babcock on Feb. 26, 1943 at Rochester in Monroe County, New York, by her sister Anna Maude Babcock, the wife of (Bert) Northrop. She stated name of their father to be Ezra DYER Babcock, residence Cloyne, Ontario at the time of her sister’s birth and that he was a Shoemaker. The midwife was a Mrs. Lake, mother’s name was Margaret Murray, and Anna was ten years older than Ida. Ida Myrtle Babcock was born July 15, 1889 at Cloyne.
Margaret Murray was Ezra’s second wife. They had children:
· Melville Sanford Babcock born 1874 who married Rose Darlington, four sons who were raised elsewhere as both parents died in 1918.
· Etta May Babcock born 1878 married Daniel J. Rogers and moved to Rochester, NYS; had six children
· Anna Maude Babcock born 1880 married Adelbert Northrop, lived at Rochester, NYS, have names of six children for them incl. one son Melville Northrop; another son Earl Whipple Northrop died at age 17 years in June 1932; Adrien Northrop; Adelbert Junior plus sisters Gertrude and Lillian.
· Laura Edith Babcock born 1883, no further info
· Ada Nora Babcock born 1884, married William Schroeder, lived at Rochester, NYS; may be same person as “Laura Edith”; three sons
· Ida Myrtle Babcock born 1889, no further info
With his first wife Martha Janetta Hunter, Ezra DYER Babcock had three known children:
· Lovina E. Babcock born between 1856 and 1860 who married Billings Hartman Snider, her fourth cousin and her half first cousin; one known daughter Ethel May Snider who married Alpheus Augustus Deline; this family stayed at Barrie/Cloyne area in Ontario
· Richard Damon Babcock born about 1858, no further info
· Henry Norman Babcock born June 24, 1863, died May 15, 1904 at age 40 years of cancer, at Barrie, Ontario, …he was married to Sarah Selona (Leona?) Winters, daughter of John Winters and Rilla Meeks. They were married Sept. 30, 1891 at Cloyne, Ontario. They had two daughters and two sons, their eldest daughter Ella Lavina or Lavina Babcock married Marshall Merritt Hawley in 1909 at Tamworth, Sheffield, Ontario- Marshall was a younger brother to my paternal great grandmother Julia Ann Hawley who married as her first husband, Hiram Keech.
The reason I knew to look for the death of Henry Norman Babcock was because Sarah S. signed a document in 1942 regarding the birth of her son Charles; she had re-married to Davis or David Cummings and was living at Madison, New York. She stated that her first husband Henry Norman Babcock had died in 1904.
From my files:
I have left out some of the legal jargon but here is a declaration signed by Sarah in regards to son Charles Babcock, the printing and handwriting are very very clear:
(Late) Registration of Birth in the Dominion of Canada, Province of Ontario
Name of Child: Charles Inor Babcock
Date of Birth of Child: August 4, 1900
Sex of Child: Male
Where Born: Cloyne, Ontario, Canada
County Born: Frontenac
Name of Father of Child: Henry Norman Babcock
Residence of Father @ Time of Child's Birth: Cloyne, Ontario, Canada
His Occupation: Farmer
Maiden name of Mother of Child: Sarah Selona Meeks
Name of Doctor Attending Birth: None
“I Sarah Babcock Cummings of the Town of Madison in the County of Madison in the ("Province" crossed out) State of New York do solemnly declare that I am the Mother of the aforementioned. I have personal knowledge of the matters herein and above set forth and the information furnished is true in substance and in fact. My first husband Henry Norman Babcock died in May 1904. I married David Cummins in the fall of same year; we came to New York State in the year 1910.”
2 more lines of legal declaration
Declared at the Town of Madison, in the County of Madison, ("Province" crossed out again) State of New York on 12 September 1942
Signed: Sarah Babcock Cummings
Some people have posted online that this Henry Babcock went to Watertown, NYS, and died there in 1920’s or 1930’s. Obviously that is NOT same Henry.
Brian Lake wrote and asked me if I knew the names of Lousia Eva Lake’s parents- she was the first wife of Charles Stewart Snider of Ernestown. (See my previous long message about same Charles). Louisa was born 1831 at Ernestown and died 1871 at Barrie in Frontenac County at age 39 years of “dropsy”. I have no proof at all but suspect she was the daughter of Nicholas Lake and Catherine Hartman of Ernestown. Their son Nicholas Daly Lake and his wife are living immediately next door to Louisa and Charles Snider on the 1871 census at Barrie, Ontario. Nicholas Lake senior and Catherine Hartman had a son named Schuyler Shibley Lake born 1841. Charles Snider and Louisa Lake had a son named Schuyler Shibley Snider.
In regards to Elizabeth Stover who was the wife of Abraham Snider born 1801 died about 1831, secondly the wife of Richard A. Babcock, I have no proof who her parents are either but if I had to make a guess, it would be Jacob Stover 1779-1861 and his wife Sarah Storms. (My guess based solely on family names).
I hope I haven’t forgotten anything important this time, if I have, will post again until I get it all down. Hope all this info helps someone. If any questions or additional info, please post here, or write to me directly.
I would like to know:
What happened to Richard Babcock’s second wife Margaret nee ROBLIN and their three boys from that second marriage?
Where and when did Ezra DYER Babcock die?
What happened to Ezra’s son Richard Damon Babcock born about 1858?
What happened to Richard’s son Jacob S. Babcock born about 1842?
Thanks from Nora
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|