I am doing some research in a book entitled DICTIONAIRE GENALOGIQUE DES FAMILLES DU QUEBEC by Rene Jette Publication 1983.
On several notations he has included the comment engage Ouest 21-4-1724 au 15-6-1730. This notation albeit different dates is included in many entries. Am I to believe that that person served in the West from the first date to the second? This raises several questions.
1. Were they sent there as part of military service?
2. Was it an individual choice to go to the West?
3. What would they have done in the West?
4. How were they paid?
5. Where in the West might they have gone?
6. Did they stay the whole time that is indicated on the entry or were they allowed to come and go? Knowing that it would take quite a journey from Montreal.
Thanks bunches for any light you can shed on my queries. I wish I was a better student of history. Sara Burkholder
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|