Sandwich is one of the Cinque Ports, and is situated near a mile and a half from the sea, nine miles from Margate, seven from Ramsgate, twelve from Canterbury, eleven from Dover and five from Deal. It sends tow members to parliament who still retain the ancient name of barons of the Cinque port of Sandwich. The trade of the town chiefly consists of coal, fir timber, deals, etc. with which the country is supplied. Here also are shipped corn, malt, fruit and feeds fro London and other markets. Market days are Wednesdays and Saturdays and a fair on the 4th December, which continues two market days.
This was formally one of the chief ports of England, and walled around. It has still a wall on the north and west sides, and a rampart and a ditch on the others. It has suffered much by the Danes, etc. whose king; Canute here slit the noses and cut off the hands of those Englishmen who were given as hostages to his father Swain. In 1217 it was burnt by the French and again in 1457. It has two monasteries, and other religious foundations. It was first incorporated by the name of Barons and in the reign of Edward III by the stile of mayor, jurats and commonality. The mayor was chosen in the guildhall, on the Monday after St Andrew’s day. Here are three churches, three hospitals, a custom house, a quay, and a free school built out of the ruins of the Carmelite monastery. This was reckoned one of the Cinque Ports even in the reign of William Conqueror. The members belonging to it are: Fordwich, Deal, Walmer, Ramsgate, Reculver, Stonar, and Sar and Brightingley, eight miles form Colchester, in Essex, is under the jurisdiction of its mayor. This is the only Cinque port except Dover, which has the least claim to independence, and that arises from the extensive number of its electors. Sandwich which has for many years been ranked as an Admiralty Borough, from the influence of innumerable places, and the documents which the voters hold under the patronage of that board, has been generally represented by two members of their nomination; but at the last election, Sir Horace Mann, who resides in the neighbourhood, having the largest Kentish estate of any man in the country, and who is so much respected for his hospitality and convivial talents that no other person would have stood the smallest chance of success in opposition to government, became a candidate on his own interest, in opposition to Lord Parker, controller of the household (who was supported by government in conjunction with Mr Stephens, Secretary to the Admiralty) was successful, as will appear by the close of the poll; the numbers being for
Philip Stephens, Esq. - 474, Sir Horace Mann - 311, Lord Parker - 290
Custom House 1790
Tetter joseph Boatman
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|