While cleaning out my mothers basement we found a book from my gggrandfather.
RICHARD TILGHMAN DIES FROM POISON
Fatal Dose Is Taken by Mistake in the Darkness-His Family From Maryland
Philadelphia. June 12- Swallowing a tumbler full of poisoned water in the dark by mistake for dissolved lithia tablets, which he had been in the habit of taking for a rheumatic ailment,Richard Tilghman, well known in social and business circles in the city, was fatally stricken in his apartment at the Lincoln, 1220 Locust Street, this morning.
He died a few minutes before 8 o'clock after a heroic battle of six hours for life. Mrs. Tilghman and two physicians were with him when the end came. His brother Mr. Benjamin C. Tilghman, who resides at 2210 St. James Place, arrived soon after.
Mr. Tilghman was booked to sail for Europe today for an extended business and pleasure trip with Mrs. Tilghman and their two children.
Mr. Tilghman was a descendant of Richard Tilghman, an eminent surgeon, of London, who was one of those that petitioned for the life of King Charles I., and who emigrated to Maryland in 1660, and settled the Hermitage, the family seat, on Chester River, Maryland, which has ever since remained in possession of his descendants. His grandson, James Tilghman, came from Maryland about 1760 and settled in Philadelphia.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|