Remember when doing genealogy meant:
1) Talking to relatives
2) Looking in the attic, desks, etc. for old records and clippings
3) Taking old photos out of the frames and looking for information
4) Writing for birth, marriage and death records
5) Visiting the cemetery
6) Read genealogy help books
7) Going to Genealogy Conferences
8) Going to a genealogical library
9) Going to the archives
10) Going to Court Houses
11) Ordering films from Court Houses
Just trying to figure it all out.
If one today believes Gedcoms, family trees they are in for a rude shock. They are full of errors. If you have an error at generation 3 – everything beyond that is wrong.
This is the height of the ‘instant gratification society.’ Maybe some things you find on the web are correct. Whenever I look at family trees I just want to cry. Most have no sources and no way to correct them. I have even given relatives well-documented information and they ignore it. Yes, one can post another tree and give your email but why?
We are up against a huge money maker. The latest versions of FTM only allow posting online. They are building this incredible database of misinformation. Newcomers have no idea what garbage they are picking up.
My husband wants to know why I didn’t cash in on this. I just wanted the truth.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|