Since I last posted several months ago I have made some progress on my branch of the TONKS.
I have traced my mother's family back to 1849......
The family (back to 1871) originated from Cotterill's Lane/Oakfield Place, Little Bromwich, and resided there from circa 1871 to at least 1913 and after that on St. Margaret's Rd., Ward End.
The registration district was Aston, sub-district Erdington which became North Birmingham and then Birmingham.
A. G-G Grandfather- Thomas TONKS married to Emma JORDAN
Children were Thomas TONKS, Sarah TONKS, Minnie TONKS and William Henry TONKS.
Notes: G-G Grandfather was a dairy man.
B. G-Grandfather was Thomas TONKS married to Love Eliza COBB (she originanted from Gloucester). They had a large family as follows (not in any particular order)
1. Thomas TONKS, born April 1, 1896, emigrates to Canada in July, 1922, dies August, 1947 in Liverpool, N.S. )professional glofer).
2. Albert Edward TONKS, born 11 August 1912, Ward End, Birmingham; dies 24August 1957, Sheldon, Birmingham.
3. Arthur TONKS (no further information)
4. Marjorie TONK (no further information)
5. Jessie TONKS. (youngest in family, no further information).
6. Gladys TONKS, born 1901, Gloucester, England (no further information).
7. William Henry TONKS, born after 1901 (no further information)
8. Frank Ernest TONKS., born after 1901 (no further information)
9. Elsie TONKS., born 1895-96 (no further information)
10. Florence TONKS, b. 1898, Birmingham (no further information)
11. Ethel TONKS, b. 1900, Birmingham.(no further information)
12. There were also 2 sets of twins believed to have died quite young and possibly born after 1901.
It is believed one of the daughters married and subsequently emigrated to Australia.
My G-Grandfather was a railway wagon maker and worked for Weyman-Cammell which still exists and now makes buses.
C. Grandfather Thomas TONKS married to Annie Lydia MOWBRAY (daughter of John Hugh MOWBRAY and Caroline LINE). Annie was born in Aldershot in 1902.
Shortly after marrying they emigrated to Canada in the summer of 1922 to RR #4 Harrow, Ontario.
They had two daughters-
1. Dorothy Blanche TONKS born in 1923 in Windsor, Onatario.
2. Joan Barbara TONKS (my mother) born in 1927 in Smethwick, Staffordshire.
Thomas TONKS became a professional golfer and worked at the Little River Golf Club, Walkerville, Ont.; then a golf club in Moncton, New Brunwsick and finally Liverpool Golf and Country Club (White Point Beach Lodge) in Liverpool Nova Scotia in 1929-30.
I am especially interested in the children of Thomas and Love Eliza TONKS. Have the info on Albert but none on the rest.
Any information greatly appreciared.
I have much more detailed information if any of this figures in your family.
Paul K. Smith
Queensland, Nova SCotia
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|