I have been looking for proof of Seth's lineage for another researcher. I believe I have some other emails on it which I will find for you. Leonardo Andrea's "Towles in SC" has the following brief passage:
"There was a Seth TOWLES who died in Edgefield in 1826 who left a widow, Mary. His estate was administered by William Wilson. The widow's waiver of right to administer was witnessed by J. Oliver TOWLES and J. Oliver TOWLES was one of the appraisers. I would surmise that Seth was a brother of Col. Oliver TOWLES."
I believe the COL Oliver TOWLES mentioned is the son of Daniel and Cynthia Burton TOWLES. Daniel was the third child of Capt Oliver and Jane Goggans TOWLES of Middlesex and Culpepper, VA and Ninety Six District, SC.
One possibility is that your Seth is actually William Seth TOWLES, who is documented as Wiliam TOWLES in "Our Folks". That would confirm what Andrea thought, and your Seth would be son of Daniel and brother to Phebe TOWLES, Oliver TOWLES, Elizabeth Ann TOWLES, Sarah M. TOWLES, Jane B. TOWLES and Peter Daniel TOWLES. If that is the case, here is what Maron Summer Eve writes on page 79:
William TOWLES, b.1804, d. after 1880, m. Elizabeth ROBERTSON, b. 1810, d. 1849
1. Cythia TOWLES, b. 1830, d. aft 1880
2. Edmund TOWLES, b. 1833, d. 1866 (Note: In Andrea's manuscript, he states: "There was also an Edmund TOWLES whose will was filed in Edgefield 2-4-1867 in which he left all his property to his sisters Synthia and Jane. These could also have been brother and sisters of Oliver.")
3. William H. TOWLES, b. 1834, m. Elizabeth
4. Sarah Ann TOWLES, b. 1836, d. Nov 16, 1858
5. Mary Ann TOWLES, b. 1838, d. 1845
6. Jane B. TOWLES, b. 1840
7. Thomas R. TOWLES, b. 1842, d. aft 1888,
m. Jane O. Rodgers, b. 1843
I will email you separately with any additional info I find. Hope this helps! Keith
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|