TUNSTALL OF VIRGINIA Compiled by Frances C. Griffin, Chesapeake, Va.
Robert H. Tebbs and Eliza L. Tunstall were married Nov. 26, 1835
James L. Tunstall and Eliza L. Croone of Ala. were married Dec. 12, 1837
"Died on the 13th July 1867 at 12:00 o'clock Mrs. E. L. Tebbs, beloved wife of Dr. R.H. Tebbs."
In 1691, the year King and Queen was formed from New Kent, Edmund Tunstall and Catherine, his wife, conveyed one acre of land for the use of the Pollard in 1828, when the King and Queen Records were intact.
Edmund Tunstall died prior to 1707, when there was an arbitration which came out of a suit between Samuel Mathews and Catherine, his wife(formerly Catherine Tunstall, dau. of Edmund Tunstall) and Richard Wyatt in right of Mary Tunstall and Barbara Tunstall, for whom he was appointed guardian, and also in right of his wife, Catherine, who was formerly the wife of Edmund Tunstall, in right of her dower.
There have been guesses as to the William Tunstall who owned "Beudley Plantation", which have been in a measure resolved by finding the Bible Records of his father Col. Richard Tunstall of Orange Grove. William Tunstall was born May 22, 1743. He attented Donald Robertson's School in 1761, and after this he is absent from contemporary records. However, he went to Williamsburg, where he was a clerk in the auditor's office, and when the county of Pittsylvania was formed by an Act of the General Assembly in 1767, William Tunstall was appointed clerk of court.
It is not known from whom William Tunstall acquired the Beudlley estate, but is evident that he had it by purchase or a gift from his father, and the house which stood there was already on the property, when it was acquired. It was advertized in the Virginia Gazette in 1767.
William Tunstall had become established in the new county of Pittsylvania, commissioned its first clerk of court, and his business affairs in King and Queen came to an end with the sale of the Beudley plantation by his father, Col. Richard Tunstall, and John Semple.
Samuel Garlick Jr., son of Camm Garlick, had reached his majority and received the home place in King William County; his sister Sarah had married Richard Gregory Tunstall, and his sister Mary Camm had married Leonard Tunstall Jr.
Richard G. Tunstall Jr. was in 1820 charged with 206 1/2 acres of land in King & Queen next to William Boyd. The same years the heirs of Leonard Tunstall jr. were named as owners of the Heartquake Mill and ten acres of land adjacent thereto. The estate of Camm G. Tunstall in 1820 was charged with 658 1/2 acres, which adjoined the Baylor Fleet Estate.
INDEX TO OBITUARY NOTICES IN THE RICHMOND ENQUIRER & WHIG by H.R. McIlwaine
Robert P. Tunstall, King & Queen, Nov. 23, 1827.
OLD NEW KENT COUNTY by M.H. Harris
Richard Tunstall, who was granted land at the mouth of Aquentenocko Creek on April 25, 1667, was the first of the family to settle in King & Queen Co. Little is know of him, but it is evident that he was the father of Richard Tunstall Jr. who, in 1686, was granted by patent 400 acres of land in the woods of the north side of Mattapony River and adjoining Capt. William Smith's land. The same year Edward Tunstall received 750 acres which joined the patent issued to Richard Tunstall Jr.
There are no records left to establish the relationship of these three patentees, but it is probably that Richard Tunstall the first was father of Richard Tunstall Jr. and Edward Tunstall, who was later called Edmund Tunstall.
Edmund Tunstall, who succeeded Richard Tunstall the first as owner of land at King & Queen Courthouse, was certainly a legatee of Richard Tunstall, and it is believed that he was a son. Edmund Tunstall married Catherine Long, and they were the parents of three daughters: Barbara Tunstall, Catherine Tunstall, who married Samuel Mathews, and Mary Tunstall, who married Thomas Fox, of King William County.
The estate of Thomas Tunstall is mentioned in the accounts of John Baylor, the merchant, but his identity is not proved as related to the fore-going members of the family.
Richard Tunstall, the clerk of King & Queen Court, was generally known as Colonel Richard Tunstall. He appeared in Essex as deputy clerk about 1722, and a few years later he married Ann Hill, dau. of Leonard Hill, and widow of Dr. James Walker. They were married in 1727-1728, and Colonel Richard Tunstall came to King & Queen and established himself at Orange Grove, which had been the patrimony of his wife's first husband Dr. James Walker.
In 1738, Richard Tunstall was appointed clerk of court of King & Queen Co., which office he held until he turned it over to his son John Tunstall.
Mrs. Ann Tunstall (1705-1788) survived an attack of smallpox, which deprived her of her sight, and she died in 1788 or 9, at the age of 84 years.
Col. Richard Tunstall, in addition to his duties as clerk, rose from Captain to Colonel in the militia oc(of) the county. He was a member of the Commission of Justices, and was Chairman of the Committee of Safety for King and Queen Co. The clerkship was turned over to his oldest son, John Tunstall, who had been a deputy for several years under his father. Colonel Richard Tunstall all died during 1775.
Bible Records of Col. Richard Tunstall Family:
Ann Hill Walker married (2) Col. Richard Tunstall.
Ann Tunstall born 19 Oct. 1728
Elizabeth Tunstall born 18 Aug. 1730; died June 23, 1743
Katherine Tunstall born 1732; died 1733
John Tunstall born 8 July 1733
Katherine Tunstall born 19 Aug. 1734; died 23 June 1743
Frankey Tunstall, born 19 Dec. 1736
Richard Tunstall born 22 July 1738
Thomas Tunstall born 16 Nov. 1739; died 6 Dec. 1769
Leonard Tunstall born 4 March 1741
William Tunstall born 25 May 1743
From the Philadelphia Gazette, Aug. 4, 1743, Philadelphia. Printed by B. Franklin, Post-Master at the New Printing Office near Markey. States:
Williamsburg July 8. We hear from King & Queen Co., the last Sunday night in the Eveing Two hopeful daughters of Mr. Richard Tunstall, Clerk of Court of that Co., one about 12 and the other about 10 years of age (their father and mother being from home) went into the Mattapony to wash; and going out of their depth were unfortunately drowned.
John Tunstall, the oldest son of Col. Richard and Ann Hill his wife, was born in 1733. He married When quite young, Sallie, daughter of Col. Joseph Temple and Ann Arnold his wife. He was trained in the clerk's office under his father and was his deput(y) before 1762.
In time, John Tunstall succeeded his father in the office of Clerk of Court, and he also served as clerk of the Committee of Safety. His father, Col. Richard, as stated was Chairman and his brother Richard Tunstall was also a member, noted as Richard Jr., his father being then alive.
One of the unsloved mysteries of the history of the county concerns the disappearance of John Tunstall from the clerk's office and the appointment of Richard Tunstall, his son, as clerk and guardian of his fahter's infant children. It appears from the records which are left that John Tunstall lived until about 1795, after which his land was charged to his estate.
Richard Tunstall, son of John Tunstall, attended Donald Robetson's school, and John Tunstall paid his tuition. After the death of his grandfather, Col. Richard Tunstall, he became Richard Tunstall Junior, his uncle of the same name having become Senior.
The other children of John Tunstall are known from records at King and Queen and at Louisa.---- "2 Feb. 1797, between Joseph Tunstall & Jane his wife, John Bell and Ann his wife, John Roggers and Sarah his wife, and Eliza Tunstall of the one part and Humphrey Temple --conveyed-- tract of land situate in King & Queen County --St. Stephen's Parish which John Tunstall dec'd lately occupied and sold to Humphrey Temple --200 acres surveyed by John W. Semple in 1788, adj. Edward Hill, Ryans Creek to Wm. Tunstall."
These records postively establish the fact that John Tunstall's land was sold by his children who survived, and that Richard Tunstall, his son, who died in 1791, had already received from his grandfather's estate a liberal portion of land, which is recored under the title of Orange Grove.
Richard Tunstall Junior was so captioned after the deth of his grandfather because his uncle Richard Tunstall became Senior. He married his cousin Catherine, dau. of George Brooke and Hannah Tunstall. After Richard Tunstall Jr. died in 1791, his wife Caty Tunstall was charged with his personal property. She became the guardian of her children, and around 1800 moved with them to Norfolk, where her sister resided. She died in the 70th year of her age in 1827.
The children of Richard Tunstall and Ann Brooke were named in the Tunstall Bible Records:
George Brooke Tunstall born 20 July 1782; Baptized by Rev. Mr. Jesse Carter, Sponsors: Elizabeth Price, Caty Bird, Mary Tunstall, Sarah and Joseph Tunstall, Richard Brooke, Robert Campbell, and Nicholas Lyne.
Ann Brooke Tunstall born 14 May 1784 was baptized by the Rev. Mr. Jesse Carter. Sponsors: Esther and Agnes Tunstall, Sarah Tunstall, Temple Elliott and William Tunstall.
Alexander Tunstall born 19 March 1787, babptized by the Rev. Mr. Jesse Carter. Sponsors: Jane Seaton, Ann Pollard, Robert Pollard, Richard Gregory Tunstall.
It from the children of Richard Tunstall that the family of Tunstalls in Norfolk have sprung, and reached a degree of prominence in keeping with their ancestry.
Joseph Tunstall (1758-1818), son of John Tunstall, married one of the seven Pierce sisters, Jane, on 10 Oct. 1781, and after a short residence in King & Queen County removed to Barren County, Kentucky, and his children resided in that state.
This is all there is (6) pages. It seems this was part of an original genalogy because on the cover page it reads
This is mostly too late (hand written). I hope this helps anyone researching the surname TUNSTALL and I can now go to bed and dream of the name Ha! Ha! I have typed it soooooo many times. Enjoy!
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|