From: ghstevens3 <firstname.lastname@example.org>
To: Bob & LaurieSheldon <LaurieSheldon@GMail.Com>
Sent: Sun, Oct 14, 2012 5:09 pm
Subject: Ancestry of Joseph H. ULRICH (1865-1938) of Watsontown, Northumberland County, PA
Hello Bob & Laurie:
Great to hear from you and thanks very much for responding to my 15 April 2007 posting (#696, below). I will be glad to exchange information with you and will greatly welcome your help in closing some gaps in my research on this branch of the ULRICH Family.
My limited records indicate that your Great Grandfather, Joseph H. ULRICH (b. June 1865 in Watsontown, Northumberland Co., PA & d. 5 January 1938, also in Watsontown) was married around January 1887 in PA to Ellen G. (Ella) UNANGST (b. August 1865 in PA and d. in 1911 in Watsontown. I have not looked for Ella's parents but her maiden name is uncommon and ought to be easy to find in the US Census for 1850, '60, '70, '80. I have their eight children as John Olin (b 23 April 1888), Minnie M. (b 1890), Phoebe W., (b 1892), Ruth Pauline (b 1894), Harry Becker (b 1896), Sarah Catherine (Margaret, b 1897), Joseph Bowman (Judson, b 1900), and Vera G. (b. 1904).
Here are a few data from US Census & Church records:
1. The 1900 US Census for Watsontown, Northumberland County, PA, gives Joseph’s birth as in “June 1865,” however, his Watsontown Cemetery tombstone dates are 1864-1938. (See also: Joseph Meisner, A Genealogist’s Guide to Burials in Northumberland County, Pennsylvania. Grantham, PA, 1998.)
2. In the 4 June 1900 US Census for Watsontown, Northumberland Co., PA:
ULRICH, Joseph H., Head, 34, b June 1865, Shoemaker, 3xPA
ULRICH, Ellen G., Wife, 34, b Aug 1865, 3xPA
ULRICH, John O., Son, 12, b April 1888, 3xPA
ULRICH, Mary Z., Dau, 10, b February 1890, 3xPA
ULRICH, Phoebe W., Dau, 8, b April 1892, 3xPA
ULRICH, Ruth P., Dau, 5, b September 1894, 3xPA
ULRICH, Harry B., Son, 4, b May 1896, 3xPA
ULRICH, Sarah M., Dau, 1, b Oct 1898, 3xPA
ULRICH, Judson B., Son, 6 months, b November 1899
3. In the 16 April 1910 US Census for Watsontown, Northumberland Co., PA, at #35 Elm Street:
ULRICH, Joseph H., Head, 45, m 23 yrs, Stretcher @ Shoe Factory, 3xPA
ULRICH, Ellen G., Wife, 45, m 23 yrs, 3xPA
ULRICH, John A., Son, 21, s, Laborer @ Car Factory, 3xPA
ULRICH, Marian M., Dau, 20, s, Stretcher @ Shoe Factory, 3xPA
ULRICH, Phoebe B., Dau, 17, s, Winder @ Knitting Mill, 3xPA
ULRICH, Ruth Pauline, Dau, 15, s, 3xPA
ULRICH, Harry B., Son, 13, s, 3xPA
ULRICH, Sarah M., Dau, 11, s, 3xPA
ULRICH, Judson B., Son, 10, s, 3xPA
ULRICH, Vera G., Dau, 6, s, 3xPA
4. Joseph ULRICH joined the First Evangelical Church of Watsontown PA on 24 January 1915.
5. Joseph ULRICH died, age 73, on 5 January 1938, and was buried in the Watsontown Cemetery, Northumberland County, PA (from records of the First Evangelical Lutheran Church of Watsontown, PA).
6. The 1900 US Census for Watsontown, Northumberland County, PA, gives Ella’s birth as in “August 1865,” however, her Watsontown Cemetery tombstone dates are 1864-1911. (Joseph Meisner, A Genealogist’s Guide to Burials in Northumberland County, Pennsylvania. Grantham, PA, 1998.)
7. The 7 January 1887 Northumberland County Democrat reported that a Marriage License had been granted to “J. H. ULRICH and Ellen UNANGST, both of Watsontown” PA.
8. Buried in (OLD) Section 22, Lot 24 (2 spaces) of the Watsontown PA Cemetery are
(1.) Joseph H. ULRICH
(2.) Ella G. ULRICH
(However, I did NOT photograph these gravestones.)
Do you know if any of your uncles, aunts, or siblings may have inherited a family bible or old photograph album or newspaper obituaries that might offer additional information about where in PA your 3xGreat Grandparents (William and Eve) may have come from prior to their arrival in Center County, PA, in 1830? I suspect that they came originally from Germany, but can't find them before 1830. I also have photos of the graves of your 2xGreat Grandparents, John & Phoebe, and of John's parents, taken in the Watsontown PA Cemetery, which I will forward to you via E-Mail. I suppose I should try to find the name of whatever local newspaper might have published an obit for Wm. when he died on 29 April 1885. Ee died after the 1880 US Census and befoire 1900, but I don't have a date of death for her. Watsontown is a charming little town an hour or so north of Harrisburg on US Rte 15. Do you live nearby? Please call on 301-292-1202 or respond directly via E-Mail and we can get down to business!
Best regards, -- George
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|