Willard Pioneer Cemetery
Cemetery notes and/or description:
Willard Pioneer Cemetery, formerly known as the ‘Original Willard Cemetery', is to be found one block east of the first group of houses erected in Willard in 1851. The first burial, that of 5 day old, John Memorial Jr. was in August 1854. He was the son of John Memorial (Memory) and Samantha Wells McCrary and was laid to rest in the South West corner.
Subsequent interments were to the North of this plot in order of date of death. Loved ones were not buried by their families unless death immediately followed the last burial, and for this reason, a new cemetery, Willard City or Precinct, was opened up in 1869 in the foothills North of the original cemetery.
About 150 settlers were buried in Pioneer, but, to date, not all have been documented. The last known interment took place in 1905. The Willard flood of 1923 cut a huge trench through the burial ground and markers and human remains were washed into the fields West of the town. When found, the remains were re-buried in a common grave and the markers were put back as accurately as possible. There are now just seven markers in position and this will not change. All seven have been photographed and appear on the individual memorial pages. The plaque shown as the default photo is intended as a commemoration and therefore there is no point in photo requests.The cemetery was restored over 1976-77 by the Willard Historical Society.
150 settlers were buried there but only 110 have been documented. Names of the others are being sought.
So Try the Willard Historical Society.
No Collins at all are listed in the Pioneer Cemtery
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|